Marlins edge D'Backs in 10thAug 22, 2012 - 7:11 AM
Facing Sam Demel (0-1), Gorkys Hernandez led off the frame with a base hit. He then advanced into scoring position on a well-placed sacrifice bunt by Bryan Petersen. Hernandez then moved to third on a deep flyout to center by Carlos Lee before Stanton came through with a single into left field to plate Hernandez with the eventual winning run.
Stanton's go-ahead knock made a winner out of Chad Gaudin (2-1), who worked a scoreless ninth inning before Steve Cishek worked out of trouble in the 10th to record his 10th save of the season.
One night after pounding out 20 hits, the Marlins registered 15 on Tuesday as Stanton finished with three and a run scored. Donovan Solano went 3-for-3 with two RBI, while Petersen, Hernandez and starter Ricky Nolasco drove home runs for the Marlins, who have taken the first two games of this series.
"Earlier in the year we would have just gave up and lost 10-0," Stanton said. "We fought and everyone contributed tonight."
The home 10th got off to an easy start for Cishek as he fanned Gerardo Parra and Miguel Montero for the first two outs. Ryan Wheeler then came up with a base hit to keep the inning alive and Jake Elmore worked a walk to bring pinch-hitter John McDonald to the plate. Cishek got McDonald to ground into a fielder's choice, ending the game.
Arizona plated all five of its runs in its first at-bat. Chris Young started the frame with a walk and scored on a double by Aaron Hill for the first run of the game. Jason Kubel singled and Paul Goldschmidt walked before Justin Upton brought home two with a single into left to make it 3-0. Montero followed with an RBI base hit and Wheeler capped the frame with a sacrifice fly.
"It was a disappointing game tonight, disappointing loss," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "We should have won that game. We had an opportunity and we didn't close it out."
Miami began to chip away in the second, putting a pair of runs on the board. Solano singled home Lee and Nolasco helped himself by ripping a ground-rule double over the wall in left to score Greg Dobbs and pull the Fish within three.
The Marlins added three more runs in the sixth to tie the game, 5-5. Stanton opened the inning with a double and scored on a base hit by Solano. Hernandez and Petersen then laced back-to-back RBI singles later in the frame to bring the Marlins all the way back from the early five-run hole.
Marlins outfielder Emilio Bonifacio left the game in the third inning due to an injured knee ... Upton was pulled after the first inning with a leg injury ... Despite the setback, the Diamondbacks have won six of the last nine meetings between the clubs ...Marlins shortstop Jose Reyes has hit safely in 20 of 23 career games at Chase Field ...Miami went 7-for-21 with runners in scoring position and stranded 15 on base ... Wednesday's doubleheader will be the first twinbill in the history of Chase Field ... D'backs starter Trevor Cahill lasted 5 1/3 innings and allowed four runs on seven hits with a walk and six strikeouts ... Nolasco gave up five runs on six hits over five innings.
- MIAMI: 6
Aug 22 1:19 AM
- Giancarlo Stanton singled to left scoring Gorkys Hernandez with two out. On the play, Jose Reyes advances to second. Runners on first and second and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 6, Diamondbacks 5 Top 10, 2 OutsAug 22 1:03 AM
- Jose Reyes grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Marlins 5, Diamondbacks 5 Mid 6Aug 21 11:36 PM
- Gorkys Hernandez singled to short scoring Donovan Solano with two out. On the play, Austin Kearns advances to second. Runners on first and second and Bryan Petersen due up.
Marlins 4, Diamondbacks 5 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 21 11:35 PM
- Donovan Solano singled to center scoring Giancarlo Stanton with one out. Runner on first and Rob Brantly due up.
Marlins 3, Diamondbacks 5 Top 6, 1 OutAug 21 11:21 PM
- Ricky Nolasco ground-rule-double to left scored Greg Dobbs with two out. On the play, Donovan Solano advances to third. Runners on second and third and Emilio Bonifacio due up.
Marlins 2, Diamondbacks 5 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 21 10:16 PM
- Ryan Wheeler sacrifice fly out to center scored Justin Upton with one out. Runner on second and Jake Elmore due up.
Marlins 0, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 21 9:58 PM
- Miguel Montero singled to center scoring Paul Goldschmidt with none out. On the play, Justin Upton advances to third. Miguel Montero advances to second on Greg Dobbs's missed catch error. Runners on second and third and Ryan Wheeler due up.
Marlins 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 21 9:57 PM
- Justin Upton singled to left scoring Aaron Hill and Jason Kubel with none out. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to second. Runners on first and second and Miguel Montero due up.
Marlins 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 21 9:53 PM
- Aaron Hill doubled to left scoring Chris Young with none out. Runner on second and Jason Kubel due up.
Marlins 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 21 9:48 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 21 9:40 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21