Scutaro sends Giants past D'backs in 10thSep 4, 2012 - 12:43 AM
Marco Scutaro had three hits, including a game-winning single on a 2-2 cutter down the third-base line in the 10th inning against Bryan Shaw (1-5).
Sergio Romo (4-2) pitched a scoreless 10th inning to keep the game tied and earned the win.
The Diamondbacks erased a four-run deficit with two runs in the fifth and five runs in the sixth inning. But the Giants rallied for two runs in the eighth inning and Putz blew his second save in as many days in the ninth to send Arizona to its ninth loss in its last 11 games.
The Diamondbacks are now 11 1/2 games behind the Giants in the NL West.
The Giants rallied in the eighth inning with two outs to close within a run. Hector Sanchez and Brandon Crawford delivered back-to-back doubles and pinch- hitter Brandon Belt plated Crawford with a base hit to make the score 8-7.
San Francisco tied the game in the ninth after Scutaro whacked a leadoff double off the base of the left-field fence. Scutaro advanced to third when Pablo Sandoval grounded out and scored when Buster Posey ripped a double down the third-base line.
Brandon Crawford legged out an infield single to start the 10th inning. He advanced to second on a sacrifice and third on a ground out before Scutaro ripped a single down the third-base line to win the game.
San Francisco built an early four-run lead against Patrick Corbin in the first after Scutaro and Sandoval delivered one-out singles. Posey crushed a double off the base of the right-field wall to score Scutaro and Hunter Pence whacked a triple into the right-field gap to score two more. Hector Sanchez capped the rally with a base hit to score Pence.
Corbin recovered to hold the Giants to four runs on seven hits in five innings while striking out six.
Arizona started its comeback in the fifth when Miguel Montero singled and Chris Johnson hammered a 1-2 cutter into the left-field seats to cut San Francisco's lead to 4-2.
The Diamondbacks chased Barry Zito from the game when Justin Upton and Jason Kubel singled to start the sixth inning.
Barry Zito gave up four runs and seven hits with six strikeouts in five-plus innings.
Paul Goldschmidt greeted Guillermo Mota with a ground-rule double to bring Arizona within a run. After Montero struck out, Johnson lofted a long fly ball to left field to score Kubel, move Goldschmidt to third and tie the game.
After Cody Ransom worked a walk to put runners on the corners, Arizona began building a lead. Willie Bloomquist grounded a single through the left side to plate Goldschmidt. Chris Young and Aaron Hill followed with two more singles to expand Arizona's lead to three.
Pablo Sandoval rolled a single to right field to score Angel Pagan, who reached on a fielder's choice in the seventh, but the Diamondbacks quickly responded with a run in the eighth when Upton singled home Ryan Wheeler to make make the score 8-5.
San Francisco is a season-best 19 games over .500, the high point for the Giants since being 23 games over at the end of the 2010 season ... The Giants have won 13 of their last 17 games and 21 of their last 30 ... The Giants are 30-14 when facing an opposing left-handed pitcher ... The Giants have won 25 of their last 34 games against Arizona at AT&T Park ... The Giants have won Zito's last six starts ... Arizona went 5-for-17 with runners in scoring position and stranded eight ... San Francisco went 9-for-15 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base.
- ARIZONA: 8
SAN FRANCISCO: 9
Sep 3 7:57 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to left scored Brandon Crawford with two outs to win the game.
Diamondbacks 8, Giants 9 Bot 10, 2 OutsSep 3 7:57 PM
- Buster Posey doubled to left scored Marco Scutaro. Runner on second with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Giants 8 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 3 7:28 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Brandon Belt singled to right scored Brandon Crawford. Runner on first with two outs and Angel Pagan due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Giants 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 3 7:05 PM
- Brandon Crawford doubled to left scored Hector Sanchez. Runner on second with two outs and Shane Loux due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Giants 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 3 7:03 PM
- Justin Upton singled to right scored Ryan Wheeler. On the play, Gerardo Parra advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jason Kubel due up.
Diamondbacks 8, Giants 5 Top 8, 2 OutsSep 3 6:55 PM
- Buster Posey grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. On the play, Pablo Sandoval out at second to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 7, Giants 5 End 7Sep 3 6:40 PM
- Aaron Hill singled to center scored Willie Bloomquist. On the play, Chris Young advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Giants 4 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 3 6:04 PM
- Chris Young singled to left scored Cody Ransom. On the play, Willie Bloomquist advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Aaron Hill due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Giants 4 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 3 6:01 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Willie Bloomquist singled to left scored Paul Goldschmidt. On the play, Cody Ransom advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Giants 4 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 3 5:57 PM
- Willie Bloomquist pinch-hits for the Diamondbacks.
Diamondbacks 4, Giants 4 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 3 5:55 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt doubled to left center scored Justin Upton. On the play, Jason Kubel advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Miguel Montero due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Giants 4 Top 6, 0 OutsSep 3 5:45 PM
- Chris Johnson none-out, two-run Home Run (14) to left scored Miguel Montero. Cody Ransom due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Giants 4 Top 5, 0 OutsSep 3 5:19 PM
- Hector Sanchez singled to third scored Hunter Pence. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Crawford due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 3 4:25 PM
- Hunter Pence tripled to right scored Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey. Runner on third with one out and Xavier Nady due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 3 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 3 4:20 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Sep 3 4:10 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21