Cain solid as Giants blank DiamondbacksSep 27, 2012 - 6:46 AM
Cain (16-5) allowed four runs and struck out six en route to his sixth win in nine starts. Cain reached the 16-win plateau for the first time in his career with the win.
"Cain shut us down," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "He could throw any pitch at any time to any place he wants. We didn't swing the bats well at all."
Pablo Sandoval went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI and Buster Posey drove in a run for the Giants, who have won 11 of their last 14 overall.
Posey became the third catcher in franchise history to tally 100 RBI in a season.
"That's quite a milestone, especially for a catcher. Those guys have to take a lot of time off and they get banged up pretty good back there," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said of the accomplishment.
Wade Miley (16-11) allowed four runs -- three earned -- on six hits and struck out three over four innings.
The D'backs trail the St. Louis Cardinals by 5 1/2 games for the final wild card spot in the NL.
San Francisco scored a pair of runs in both the third and fourth innings.
In the third, Cain singled and Angel Pagan walked before moving up on Marco Scutaro's sacrifice bunt. Sandoval followed with a base hit to plate Cain before Pagan scored on Posey's single to left field.
Brandon Belt opened the fourth with a triple and Brandon Crawford walked before Cain reached on a fielding error to load the bases. Scutaro's single plated Belt before Crawford scored on Sandoval's ground out.
Cain's RBI single in the fifth scored Hunter Pence to push the Giants' lead to 5-0 and Scuatro scored on a wild pitch in the eighth to cap the scoring.
Cain is 6-0 over his last nine starts and has allowed two or fewer runs in each of his last four outings ... San Francisco is 7-2 on a 10-game homestand ... Arizona is 40-40 on the road this season and will conclude its final road- trip of the season Thursday.
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Sep 27 1:18 AM
- Takashi Saito's wild pitch scored Marco Scutaro. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second with one out and Buster Posey at the plate.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 6 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 27 1:02 AM
- Matt Cain infield single to short scored Hunter Pence. On the play, Brandon Belt advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Angel Pagan due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 26 11:48 PM
- Pablo Sandoval grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second scored Brandon Crawford. On the play, Marco Scutaro out at second Matt Cain advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Buster Posey due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 26 11:27 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to left scored Brandon Belt. On the play, Matt Cain advances to second and Brandon Crawford advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 3 Bot 4, 1 OutSep 26 11:25 PM
- Buster Posey single to left scored Angel Pagan. On the play, Pablo Sandoval advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Hunter Pence due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 26 11:03 PM
- Pablo Sandoval infield single to short scored Matt Cain. On the play, Angel Pagan advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Buster Posey due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Giants 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 26 11:00 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Sep 26 10:18 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21