Orioles score six in 10th inning to top White SoxApr 17, 2012 - 5:40 AM
Trailing 4-2 in the ninth, Reimold led off the frame with a home run off Hector Santiago before Jones lifted a two-out game-tying blast over the wall in left-center field.
"You try to be perfect every time but you're going to give up some runs sometimes and not everything's going to go your way," remarked Santiago. "You just have to go out there tomorrow and be ready to go."
After Pedro Strop (1-0) tossed a perfect bottom half, Mark Reynolds launched a fly ball to deep center field off of Zach Stewart (0-1) to start the 10th. Centerfielder Alejandro De Aza was camped under it on the warning track, but the ball dropped in just over his glove as Reynolds cruised into third on the error to start the rally.
Chris Davis then launched a go-ahead double to left, and Robert Andino followed with an infield single before Reimold made it 6-4 with an RBI single.
Matt Wieters put the exclamation point on the Baltimore comeback, ripping a 3-2 slider into the bullpen in left field for a grand slam and a 10-4 Orioles' lead.
Strop pitched a perfect bottom of the 10th as well while starter Jake Arrieta allowed four runs -- two earned -- on seven hits with seven strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings. Wieters added a solo shot in the seventh en route to five RBI and Davis added three hits for the Orioles, who have won three of their last four games.
"I felt good. I was really able to locate my sinker away from right-handed hitters," said Arrieta, who tossed a career-high 114 pitches. "My arm feels great and I was able to control my off-speed pitches as well. I pounded the zone and was very aggressive."
Stewart was charged with only one earned run despite seeing six O's cross the plate in his one inning of work. A.J. Pierzynksi finished 3-for-3 with a homer and Paul Konerko knocked in two runs. Chicago has now dropped two straight on the heels of a four-game win streak.
Pierzynski opened the scoring in the bottom of the second, launching a 3-1 slider into the seats in right to give Chicago the early 1-0 lead.
The O's answered in the top of the fourth as Jones and Wieters stroked consecutive singles to open the frame. Reynolds then plated Jones two batters later, lacing a double into the gap in right-center field to tie the game at 1-1.
Chicago broke the tie in the sixth, putting the first two runners on when De Aza hit a leadoff single and Brent Morel reached safely on an error from Davis at first base. After Adam Dunn whiffed, Konerko sliced a double into the right-field corner, scoring De Aza and Morel to put Chicago on top 3-1.
Dayan Viciedo singled to start the bottom of the seventh before being lifted for pinch-runner Brent Lillibridge. Lillibridge quickly swiped second and advanced to third on catcher Wieters throwing error.
Reimold retired De Aza with an acrobatic catch in foul territory, but Lillibridge was able to tag up and score as Reimold went tumbling into the seats down the left-field line, giving Chicago a 4-1 lead.
Baltimore got one back in the eighth as Wieters made up for his throwing error in the seventh, lifting Jesse Crain's fourth offering into the seats in left field and trimming the deficit to 4-2.
Baltimore split its eight games with the White Sox last season...Jones has hit in 10-straight games to open the season and has hit in 12 straight games dating back to September 26, 2011...Phil Humber made his first start of the season for Chicago, allowing just one run on six hits and three walks while striking out seven over 5 1/3 innings of work...Konerko owns a nine-game hit streak to open the season...Tuesday's matchup features two lefties as Wei-Yin Chen takes the mound for Baltimore against John Danks for the White Sox.
- BALTIMORE: 10
Apr 16 11:43 PM
- Matt Wieters two-out, Grand Slam 2 (4) to right scored Nolan Reimold, J.J. Hardy and Nick Markakis. Ronny Paulino due up.
Orioles 10, White Sox 4 Top 10, 2 OutsApr 16 11:33 PM
- Nolan Reimold singled to left scored Chris Davis. On the play, Robert Andino advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 6, White Sox 4 Top 10, 0 OutsApr 16 11:27 PM
- Chris Davis doubled to left scored Mark Reynolds. Runner on second with none out and Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 5, White Sox 4 Top 10, 0 OutsApr 16 11:23 PM
- Matt Wieters walked. Runner on first with two outs and Nick Johnson due up.
Orioles 4, White Sox 4 Top 9, 2 OutsApr 16 11:07 PM
- Nolan Reimold lead-off Home Run (3) to left. J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 3, White Sox 4 Top 9, 0 OutsApr 16 11:02 PM
- Matt Wieters one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Nick Johnson due up.
Orioles 2, White Sox 4 Top 8, 1 OutApr 16 10:40 PM
- Alejandro De Aza sacrifice fly out to left scored Brent Lillibridge. None on with two outs and Brent Morel due up.
Orioles 1, White Sox 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsApr 16 10:32 PM
- Paul Konerko doubled to right scored Alejandro De Aza and Brent Morel. Runner on second with one out and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Orioles 1, White Sox 3 Bot 6, 1 OutApr 16 10:07 PM
- Mark Reynolds doubled to center scored Adam Jones. On the play, Matt Wieters advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 1, White Sox 1 Top 4, 1 OutApr 16 9:09 PM
- A.J. Pierzynski one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Alex Rios due up.
Orioles 0, White Sox 1 Bot 2, 1 OutApr 16 8:33 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 16 8:10 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22