O's belt five homers in twinbill opener, hang on to beat RangersMay 10, 2012 - 11:09 PM
Ryan Flaherty, J.J. Hardy and Nick Markakis slugged first-inning homers for the Orioles, who had dropped the first two of this four-game set before a Wednesday rainout.
Adam Jones and Wilson Betemit added blasts as Chen (3-0) scattered six hits and two runs while fanning five. Jim Johnson survived a shaky final inning to post his ninth save.
David Murphy belted a three-run shot in the ninth for the Rangers, who scored a combined 24 runs in those two series-opening victories. Yorvit Torrealba added three hits, including two doubles, and drove in a run.
Despite striking out a career-best 12 batters, Colby Lewis (3-2) served up all five longballs -- also a career high -- part of a five-hit, six-run outing over seven full frames.
The second game is slated to begin at 7:35 p.m. (et).
Chen was lifted after putting runners on the corners with two out in the eighth. Luis Ayala allowed an infield hit to Adrian Beltre which made it 6-2, but fanned Michael Young swinging to end the threat.
Still, the Rangers kept coming. In the ninth, Nelson Cruz singled and Torrealba doubled, and Johnson came on. He induced a fly out from pinch-hitter Mitch Moreland but Murphy launched a three-run shot to right-center for a 6-5 game.
Ian Kinsler grounded out and Elvis Andrus fanned looking to end the game.
Baltimore jolted Lewis with back-to-back-to-back home runs in its first turn at the plate.
Flaherty's first major-league homer cleared the scoreboard in right, Hardy launched one deep into the seats in left for a 2-0 game, then Markakis followed with an arcing shot off the foul pole in right.
Chen loaded the bases in the third with one out on a double, walk and single, but got out of the jam after Andrus grounded out and Josh Hamilton flied out.
Texas picked up a run in the fourth as Young doubled with one down and scored on a two-out hit by Torrealba.
Baltimore got the tally back on Jones' leadoff homer in the seventh. Matt Wieters followed with a walk, and it was 6-1 as Betemit slammed one to the seats in right center.
Milwaukee was the last club to homer in its first three at-bats, doing so on September 9, 2007, in a 10-5 win at Cincinnati...Rickie Weeks, Hardy and Ryan Braun turned the trick against Red starter Phil Dumatrait...Baltimore became the first American League team to accomplish the feat...The victory snapped the O's seven-game losing streak to the Rangers, since the opener of a doubleheader at home on April 9, 2011.
- TEXAS: 5
May 10 6:32 PM
- Pinch-Hitter David Murphy one-out, three-run Home Run (3) to right scored Nelson Cruz and Yorvit Torrealba. Ian Kinsler due up.
Rangers 5, Orioles 6 Top 9, 1 OutMay 10 6:28 PM
- Adrian Beltre infield single to third scored Elvis Andrus. On the play, Josh Hamilton advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Michael Young due up.
Rangers 2, Orioles 6 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 10 6:03 PM
- Wilson Betemit none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Matt Wieters. Chris Davis due up.
Rangers 1, Orioles 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 10 5:45 PM
- Adam Jones lead-off Home Run (9) to left. Matt Wieters due up.
Rangers 1, Orioles 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 10 5:43 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba single to center scored Michael Young. Runner on first with two outs and Brandon Snyder due up.
Rangers 1, Orioles 3 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 10 5:05 PM
- Nick Markakis none out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Adam Jones due up.
Rangers 0, Orioles 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 10 4:17 PM
- J.J. Hardy none out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Nick Markakis due up.
Rangers 0, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 10 4:15 PM
- Ryan Flaherty lead-off Home Run (1) to right. J.J. Hardy due up.
Rangers 0, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 10 4:14 PM
- TEXAS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 10 4:07 PM
- Josh Hamilton will miss all season with another knee surgery May 23
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Rangers put OF Choo back on DL after only 1 game in return May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Darvish seems ready for return to Rangers after strong rehab May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Odor to have appeal hearing for 8-game suspension Tuesday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22