Blue Jays top O'sMay 29, 2012 - 5:14 AM
Hutchison (4-2) limited the Orioles to just three hits while walking three and striking out nine to earn the victory. Francisco Cordero allowed two runs in the ninth, but Casey Janssen bailed out Cordero to record his fourth save of the season.
Kelly Johnson cranked a two-run homer and a pair of doubles to go with three RBI, Edwin Encarnacion added a two-run shot and Colby Rasmus contributed an RBI single for the Blue Jays, who snapped a five-game skid.
Tommy Hunter (2-3) was rocked for six runs -- five earned -- on nine hits in just three-plus innings of work.
Wilson Betemit smacked an RBI single and Mark Reynolds added an RBI double for the O's, who have lost three straight.
"He was hitting the corners," Reynolds said of Hutchison. "I think when he did make mistakes we didn't really capitalize on them."
The Jays wasted little time taking the lead, as they were able to produce a run just two batters into the first inning. Johnson led off the frame with a double to deep center and Rasmus drove him home with a base hit into right field.
Toronto manufactured a second run in its next at-bat. David Cooper began the frame with a base hit, Jeff Mathis followed with a hit and both runners advanced on a sac-bunt by Omar Vizquel. Cooper then came home on a groundout by Johnson.
After playing small-ball to put up the first two runs of the game, the Blue Jays implemented their power stroke to push the lead to 4-0 in the third. Jose Bautista reached base on an error by Chris Davis and Encarnacion made the O's pay for sloppy defense by hammering a fastball from Hunter over the wall in left for his 16th long ball of the campaign.
Vizquel knocked a single into right to start the fourth and Johnson followed by crushing another Hunter fastball beyond the center field wall to push the lead to a comfortable 6-0 margin.
Facing Cordero in the ninth, Adam Jones opened the frame with a base hit and Matt Wieters followed with a hit before Betemit ripped one up the middle to score Jones. After Davis fanned, Reynolds squared up a hanging breaking ball and banged it high off the center field wall to score Wieters.
Janssen came out of the bullpen and got Robert Andino to line out before inducing a game-ending groundout from pinch-hitter Nick Johnson.
Baltimore kicked off an 11-day road trip on Monday in which it will also visit Tampa Bay and Boston...Despite the loss, the Orioles lead the season series with Toronto, 5-2...Jones, who on Sunday signed a six-year contract extension through the 2018 season, extended his career-best hitting streak to 19 games...Baltimore fell to 14-10 against the AL East...Reynolds was activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to the game...Toronto recalled pitcher Adam Laffey from Triple-A Las Vegas and optioned pitcher Chad Beck to the farm club.
- BALTIMORE: 2
May 28 9:59 PM
- Mark Reynolds double to center scored Matt Wieters with one out. On the play, Wilson Betemit advances to third. Runners on second and third and Robert Andino due up.
Orioles 2, Blue Jays 6 Top 9, 1 OutMay 28 9:53 PM
- Wilson Betemit single to center scored Adam Jones with none out. On the play, Matt Wieters advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 1, Blue Jays 6 Top 9, 0 OutsMay 28 9:48 PM
- Kelly Johnson none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to center scored Omar Vizquel. Colby Rasmus due up.
Orioles 0, Blue Jays 6 Bot 4, 0 OutsMay 28 8:25 PM
- Edwin Encarnacion none-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Jose Bautista. Eric Thames due up.
Orioles 0, Blue Jays 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsMay 28 8:07 PM
- Kelly Johnson grounded out second to first scored David Cooper with two out. On the play, Jeff Mathis advances to third. Runner on third and Colby Rasmus due up.
Orioles 0, Blue Jays 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 28 7:43 PM
- Colby Rasmus single to right scored Kelly Johnson with none out. Runner on first and Jose Bautista due up.
Orioles 0, Blue Jays 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 28 7:23 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 7:08 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22