Masterson helps Indians down OriolesJul 2, 2012 - 12:24 AM
Masterson (5-7) gave up two runs -- one earned -- on only five hits and did not walk any hitters. He also struck out seven Orioles for the Tribe, who won three games in the series.
The Indians picked up eight extra-base hits, including six against Orioles starter Brian Matusz (5-10), highlighted by solo home runs from Shelley Duncan and Aaron Cunningham.
"There were a lot of guys who put together big days," Duncan said. "We put a lot of runs on the board this series. It's almost like we started hitting like we're capable."
Matusz lasted only four-plus innings after allowing five runs -- four earned -- on seven hits and three walks.
"Outings like that you can withstand here and there," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said. "Consistently, when you have two or three days like that, it's, I don't want to say an energy sapper, but it kind of gets back to what makes you struggle as a team."
After the game, the Orioles optioned Matusz to Triple-A Norfolk. The 25-year- old left-hander went 0-5 with an. 8.44 earned run average in his last starts.
"My last five, six outings or so I just haven't been getting the job done," Matusz said. "Today was just really inconsistent. I had some signs of good pitches, just haven't been putting it together. It's killing the bullpen and makes it tough."
Duncan gave the Indians an early lead when he crushed a 1-1 fastball over the left-field fence in the second inning.
Cunningham jumped on a first-pitch fastball to start the third, driving it out to left field and giving the Tribe a two-run edge.
Cleveland exploded for three runs in the fourth after Jose Lopez, Duncan and Casey Kotchman opened the frame with three straight doubles. Jason Donald walked and Kotchman advanced to third on a passed ball before Lou Marson's sacrifice allowed Kotchman to come home and give Cleveland a 5-0 lead.
Baltimore chipped away in the middle innings when a Ryan Flaherty single and Adam Jones double drove a run in the fifth and sixth, respectively.
Cleveland got one back in the ninth after Asdrubal Cabrera doubled. Jason Kipnis followed with a single to give Cleveland a four-run lead.
Vinnie Pestano pitched a perfect eighth and Chris Perez worked around a one- out base hit in the ninth to keep the O's off the board and wrap up the series win.
The Indians recorded 46 hits in the last three games of the series...Before Sunday, the Indians lost four of their previous five series...Masterson has logged six-plus innings in 13 straight starts...Masterson has a 1.93 ERA (nine earned runs in 42 innings) in his last six starts...Jim Thome, making his Orioles debut, went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts...By going 1- for-4, Baltimore first baseman Wilson Betemit extended his hitting streak to 11 games...In eight starts at Camden Yards, Matusz is 2-5 with a 5.57 ERA (26 earned runs in 42 innings)...In the 10 games where Matusz was charged with the loss, the Orioles have scored a total of nine runs while he was in the game...Prior to the game, Perez and Cabrera were selected to represent the Indians at the All-Star Game and Jones, Matt Wieters and Jim Johnson were chosen from the Orioles.
- CLEVELAND: 6
Jul 1 4:18 PM
- Jason Kipnis stole second. Runner on second with one out and Jack Hannahan at the plate.
Indians 6, Orioles 2 Top 9, 1 OutJul 1 4:03 PM
- Jim Thome grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Indians 5, Orioles 2 End 6Jul 1 3:18 PM
- Ronny Paulino singled to left. On the play, Ryan Flaherty advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Robert Andino due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 1 2:57 PM
- Aaron Cunningham struck out swinging. On the play, Lou Marson stole second. Runner on second with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 1 2:31 PM
- Casey Kotchman double to right scored Shelley Duncan with none out. Runner on second with none out and Jason Donald due up.
Indians 4, Orioles 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 1 2:23 PM
- Shelley Duncan double to left scored Jose Lopez with none out. Runner on second with none out and Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 1 2:22 PM
- Aaron Cunningham lead-off Home Run (1) to left center. Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 1 2:06 PM
- Shelley Duncan one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 1 1:52 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 1 1:37 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21