Gonzalez earns first ML win as O's top AngelsJul 7, 2012 - 5:49 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Miguel Gonzalez earned his first major league win, Steve Pearce hit a three-run homer, and the Orioles defeated the Angels, 3-2, on Friday.
Gonzalez (1-0) lasted seven innings in his first career start, giving up just one run -- a Mark Trumbo homer -- on three hits. The 28-year-old righty walked two and stuck out six.
"Miguel was good. (I'm) real proud of him. He had good command of his fastball and it opened up a lot of other pitches," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter.
Pearce's fifth-inning blast was the difference for Baltimore, which had dropped five of its previous six meetings with the Angels this season, including the opener of this four-game series on Thursday.
C.J. Wilson (9-5) suffered his first loss since May 17, allowing three runs on four hits over seven frames. He had won his previous five decisions.
"When I'm on the mound I expect a better result than tonight," said Wilson. "When you have a result less than your best, you only have yourself to blame."
Mike Trout cut Anaheim's deficit to 3-2 with an eighth-inning homer, but Troy Patton retired Kendrys Morales with runners on the corners to end the inning and Jim Johnson picked up his 26th save of the season with a 1-2-3 ninth.
Darren O'Day gave up Trout's two-out blast to deep center and Torii Hunter's subsequent triple off the right-field wall, then intentionally walked Albert Pujols before giving way to Patton. Morales entered Friday's action with a nine-game hit streak, but saw that come to an end with a fly out to shallow right.
Pearce's deciding homer -- his third of the season -- came after Wilson Betemit led off with a single and Mark Reynolds followed with a walk.
"It was a fastball," said Pearce. "It feels great to hit a three run homer off a good pitcher."
Wilson lamented, "I can't get that one pitch back."
Gonzalez made his major league debut on May 29 and has made three relief appearances for the Orioles this season. He pitched at least 3 1/3 innings in all three appearances...The Orioles improved to 21-1 this season when their starters pitch at least seven innings.
- BALTIMORE: 3
LOS ANGELES: 2
Jul 7 12:56 AM
- Mike Trout two-out, solo Home Run (11) to center. Torii Hunter due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 7 12:32 AM
- Steve Pearce none-out, three-run Home Run (3) to left scored Wilson Betemit and Mark Reynolds. Ronny Paulino due up.
Orioles 3, Angels 1 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 6 11:32 PM
- Mark Trumbo two-out, solo Home Run (21) to right center. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Orioles 0, Angels 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 6 11:18 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jul 6 10:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Orioles power past Angels 9-4 on 4 homers May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21
- Angels starter Santiago ejected for gesturing to umpire May 20
- Tim Lincecum signs $2.5 million, 1-year deal with Angels May 20