Verlander goes 8, Tigers shut out O'sJul 16, 2012 - 3:25 AM
Verlander (10-5) gave up just three hits and recorded eight strikeouts for the Tigers, who have won seven of eight. As the starting pitcher for the American League in the All-Star Game on Tuesday, Verlander was charged with five runs in just one inning of work.
But the right-hander regained his form Sunday, and has now worked six or more innings in each of his last 61 starts for the Tigers dating back to Aug. 22, 2010. It marks the longest such streak by a major league pitcher since Steve Carlton did so in 69 straight starts from Sept. 13, 1979-April 13, 1982.
"The horse did what horses do," Detroit manager Jim Leyland said. "Just a stellar performance by Verlander, and we go home winning the series."
Miguel Cabrera and Austin Jackson hit solo homers for Detroit, which got an RBI apiece from Alex Avila and Jhonny Peralta.
Miguel Gonzalez (1-1) allowed three runs on six hits over 5 2/3 innings for the Orioles, who have lost four of five.
"After the All-Star Game I thought we were going to have a real good shot of lighting him up, but I think he was just setting us up," Orioles left fielder Chris Davis said jokingly. "He's good. He won the MVP last year for a reason. I felt like, at times, that he was just toying with us."
Jackson led off the game with a homer to right-center field and the Tigers never looked back.
Detroit tacked on another run in the second after Brennan Boesch doubled, moved to third on a wild pitch and scored on Peralta's bloop single to right.
The Tigers added to their lead in the sixth. Prince Fielder walked, advanced to second on Boesch's bloop single to center and raced home on Avila's single to right. Avila's hit went under the glove of Baltimore second baseman Robert Andino, who suffered a left shoulder injury on the play. Andino got hurt while diving to his left.
Meanwhile, Verlander was dominant on the mound for Detroit. He retired 12 straight batters before giving up a two-out single to Mark Reynolds in the seventh.
Jose Valverde worked around a leadoff single in the ninth to secure the victory.
The Tigers will host the Orioles at Comerica Park on Aug. 17-19...Ryan Flaherty replaced Andino at second base...The Orioles placed starter Jason Hammel on the 15-day disabled list Sunday with a right knee injury. Hammel will undergo arthroscopic surgery and is expected to be sidelined at least 3 to 4 weeks. To fill Hammel's spot on the roster, Baltimore recalled pitcher Steve Johnson from Triple-A Norfolk. Johnson gave up one run in two innings of work on Sunday. He was sent back to Norfolk after the game...Verlander improved to 7-0 in 10 career starts versus Baltimore. He also picked up his 117th career victory, moving him into a tie with Denny McLain for 13th on the club's all-time list...Jackson scored a run for the 12th straight game.
- DETROIT: 4
Jul 15 4:37 PM
- Miguel Cabrera one-out, solo Home Run (20) to right center. Prince Fielder due up.
Tigers 4, Orioles 0 Top 9, 1 OutJul 15 4:24 PM
- Alex Avila singled to right scored Prince Fielder. On the play, Brennan Boesch advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ramon Santiago due up.
Tigers 3, Orioles 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 15 3:17 PM
- Jhonny Peralta singled to right scored Brennan Boesch. Runner on first with none out and Alex Avila due up.
Tigers 2, Orioles 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 15 2:03 PM
- DETROIT: 1
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 15 1:37 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22