Orioles slip past YanksJul 31, 2012 - 4:51 AM
Baltimore starter Miguel Gonzalez (3-2) gave up four runs on six hits, including a trio of solo home runs, in 6 2/3 innings. The rookie right-hander struck out eight and issued no walks.
Jim Johnson stranded two men in scoring position in the ninth to record his 31st save of the season. Johnson surrendered a leadoff double to Nick Swisher and walked Eric Chavez with one out. After Ichiro Suzuki grounded into a fielder's choice and stole second, Johnson fanned Russell Martin to end the game.
The Orioles, who closed to within 6 1/2 games of AL East-leading New York, arrived at Yankee Stadium having lost five of their last seven contests.
"Our hitting was great tonight," Gonzalez said. "(Matt) Wieters did a great job back there. Obviously, I kept the team in the game, a couple mistakes hurt me, but good thing we won it."
Chavez, Suzuki and Raul Ibanez homered for New York, which has dropped eight of 11. Chavez added an RBI single.
Freddy Garcia (4-5) allowed three runs on nine hits over six frames to absorb his 100th career loss.
New York first baseman Mark Teixeira left the game in the eighth with a left wrist injury. He suffered the injury diving for Hardy's seventh-inning single and will have an MRI Tuesday.
"I'm not crazy concerned because I've tried to play through it," Teixeira said. "It's one of those things if you really hurt yourself bad you're out and you can't do much. I was kind of nursing it today when I was swinging. Hopefully it's just a couple of days and I can get back out there."
Baltimore extended its lead to 5-2 in the seventh. Lefty Boone Logan struck out Betemit and Mark Reynolds, both of whom were batting right-handed, to begin the inning before walking Omar Quintanilla, who scored on a double to right-center by Markakis, another left-handed batter.
J.J. Hardy then recorded an RBI single off David Phelps to put the Orioles up by three.
The Yankees, however, trimmed the deficit to one in the home seventh when Chavez and Suzuki belted back-to-back two-out blasts to right field.
Suzuki's first home run as a Yankee was the 100th of his major league career.
New York opened the scoring in the second when Chavez singled home Ibanez, who had reached on a two-out base hit and advanced to second on a balk.
Betemit tied the game in the third with a leadoff shot to right, and the Orioles went ahead 3-1 in the fifth. Betemit started the rally with an infield single and Reynolds doubled before Quintanilla hit a sacrifice fly to center. Reynolds scampered to third on the play and came home on a sac fly by Markakis.
Ibanez led off the bottom of the fifth with a home run to right.
Suzuki has hit safely in each of his first seven games with the Yankees. He snapped a 188 at-bat homerless stretch...Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano is mired in an 0-for-14 slump...Yankees batters have homered in 18 straight home games, their second-longest such streak in the current Yankee Stadium's history, trailing only a 20-game stretch from the 2009 season...Gonzalez is 3-0 with a 2.93 ERA in five games (3 starts) on the road this season.
- BALTIMORE: 5
NEW YORK: 4
Jul 30 10:12 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Chris Stewart is due up. NOTE: New York home runs are back-to-back.
Orioles 5, Yankees 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 30 9:24 PM
- Eric Chavez two-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Ichiro Suzuki is due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 3 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 30 9:21 PM
- J.J. Hardy singled to right scoring Nick Markakis. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Davis due up.
Orioles 5, Yankees 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 30 9:10 PM
- Nick Markakis doubled to right-center scoring Omar Quintanilla. Runner on second with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 4, Yankees 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 30 9:05 PM
- Raul Ibanez lead-off Home Run (14) to right. Eric Chavez is due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 30 8:32 PM
- Nick Markakis sacrifice fly to right scored Mark Reynolds. None on with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 3, Yankees 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 30 8:20 PM
- Omar Quintanilla sacrifice fly to center scored Wilson Betemit. On the play, Mark Reynolds advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 2, Yankees 1 Top 5, 1 OutJul 30 8:19 PM
- Omar Quintanilla grounded out to first. On the play, Mark Reynolds was tagged out at second from first to short to complete the double play. None on with two outs and Nick Markakis due up.
Orioles 1, Yankees 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 30 7:48 PM
- Eric Chavez singled to right scoring Raul Ibanez. Runner on first with two outs and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Orioles 0, Yankees 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 30 7:40 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 7:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21