O's finally get to Lester, down Red SoxSep 22, 2012 - 5:41 AM
Matt Wieters drove in three runs and the Orioles posted a 4-2 win over the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park, pinning a loss on Lester for the first time in 21 career starts.
"Every time they scored, we had an answer it seemed like and Matt was in the middle of that again," Orioles manager Buck Showalter said of Wieters.
Rookie Miguel Gonzalez (7-4) gave up two runs on seven hits in 6 1/3 innings for Baltimore, which remained one game behind New York in the AL East but moved one game ahead of Oakland for the top wild card spot. The Yankees beat the Athletics in extras on Friday.
Darren O'Day pitched a 1 2/3 flawless innings in relief of Gonzalez, while Jim Johnson worked the ninth for his 46th save, a new Orioles' single-season record.
"It kind of doesn't really mean anything," Johnson said of the record. "We'll talk about it at the end of the year and see if it really does mean anything."
Lester (9-13) allowed four runs on eight hits and walked three in seven frames. He entered the series-opener 14-0 with a 2.49 ERA against the Orioles.
Boston opened the scoring in the third inning when Pedro Ciriaco crushed an RBI double off the Green Monster, but Wieters plated a pair with a ground ball to right field in the fourth. J.J. Hardy had led off with a single and Adam Jones followed with a double before Wieters' single put the visitors on top.
A two-out single by Dustin Pedroia brought home Ciriaco with the tying run in the fifth.
The Orioles quickly regained the lead in the sixth on a one-out double by Wieters that scored Jones, who had walked in front of the Baltimore catcher. Mark Reynolds then knocked in Wieters with a single.
Baltimore notched its AL-leading 44th road win of the season ... The O's lead the season series, 9-4. They are 6-1 in Boston ...Baltimore improved to 25-13 in games decided by two runs.
- BALTIMORE: 4
Sep 21 10:12 PM
- Lew Ford grounded into a fielder's choice, third to second. On the play, Mark Reynolds out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 4, Red Sox 2 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 21 8:59 PM
- Matt Wieters doubled to left scoring Adam Jones with one out. Runner on second and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 3, Red Sox 2 Top 6, 1 OutSep 21 8:55 PM
- Cody Ross grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. On the play, Dustin Pedroia out at second to end the inning.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 2 End 5Sep 21 8:48 PM
- Matt Wieters singled to right scoring J.J. Hardy and Adam Jones with none out. Runner on first and Mark Reynolds due up.
Orioles 2, Red Sox 1 Top 4, 0 OutsSep 21 8:11 PM
- Pedro Ciriaco doubled to left scoring Daniel Nava with one out. Runner on second and Scott Podsednik due up.
Orioles 0, Red Sox 1 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 21 8:02 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 21 7:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21