Flaherty hits slam as O's rip Red SoxSep 29, 2012 - 3:58 AM
Tillman (9-2) gave up just one unearned run on one hit while striking out four and walking two for the Orioles, who remained one game behind the Yankees for first place in the AL East. New York beat Toronto on Friday.
Flaherty also had an RBI double for Baltimore, which holds the top wild card spot in the AL. Chris Davis added a two-run homer.
"It feels good, and I am glad I could help my team win," Flaherty said. "Whatever that is, defense, offense and tonight it was with the bat. So it was good."
Dustin Pedroia knocked in the lone run for the Red Sox, who have lost three in a row and seven of eight.
Boston starter Aaron Cook (4-11) lasted just one-plus innings, allowing six runs on five hits while walking three. Alfredo Aceves gave up three runs on six hits over 3 2/3 innings of relief.
Boston's only hit and lone run came in the first inning. Scott Podsednik reached base on a bunt single, moved to second on second baseman Flaherty's throwing error, advanced to third on Pedro Ciriaco's sacrifice bunt and scored on Pedroia's sacrifice fly.
But the Orioles exploded for six runs in the bottom half. Nate McLouth led off with a single and scored on Davis' one-out blast to right. Jim Thome singled, Mark Reynolds walked and Manny Machado singled to load the bases with two outs. Flaherty followed with his first career grand slam, making it a 6-1 contest.
Cook was replaced by Aceves after walking the first two batters in the second. Davis grounded into a double play and Adam Jones grounded out to end the inning.
Baltimore tacked on three more runs in the fifth to make it a 9-1 game. With two outs, Reynolds, Machado and Flaherty hit three straight doubles to knock in a pair of runs. Taylor Teagarden followed with an RBI single.
Tillman retired the final 14 batters he faced, while Troy Patton pitched a scoreless ninth to complete the one-hitter.
"We were behind his fastball most of the time," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said of Tillman. "We were out in front of his breaking ball. His curveball, he threw effectively. We didn't solve him."
The Orioles are 11-5 against the Red Sox this season ... Flaherty's grand slam was Baltimore's 122nd homer at Camden Yards this season, surpassing the 1996 club for most home runs at home in a single season ... Orioles catcher Matt Wieters missed Friday's game after his wife gave birth to the couple's first child earlier in the day ... Cook fell to 0-3 in four career starts versus the Orioles.
- BOSTON: 1
Sep 28 9:36 PM
- Pedro Beato enters the game for the Red Sox with a runner on first and two out.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 28 8:44 PM
- Manny Machado double to right scored Mark Reynolds. Runner on second with two outs and Ryan Flaherty due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsSep 28 8:38 PM
- Ryan Flaherty two-out, Grand Slam (6) to right scored Jim Thome, Mark Reynolds and Manny Machado. Taylor Teagarden due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 6 Bot 1, 2 OutsSep 28 7:30 PM
- Chris Davis one-out, two-run Home Run (29) to right scored Nate McLouth. Adam Jones due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 2 Bot 1, 1 OutSep 28 7:20 PM
- Dustin Pedroia sacrifice fly to center scored Scott Podsednik. None on with two outs and Cody Ross due up.
Red Sox 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 28 7:13 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 28 7:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21