Rays edge Sox, keep win streak aliveMay 17, 2012 - 6:10 AM
Carlos Pena posted two hits and scored a run for the Rays, who have taken five in a row overall.
Jeremy Hellickson (4-0) scattered five hits and one run with six strikeouts over six innings. Fernando Rodney added a scoreless ninth for his 12th save.
Rays second baseman Will Rhymes fainted near first base after being hit on the right forearm by a pitch in the eighth inning. Rhymes came to, but left the game and has a right forearm contusion. He is day-to-day.
X-rays on the arm were negative -- good news after a scary scene.
Red Sox first baseman Adrian Gonzalez was standing nearby when Rhymes began walking away and collapsed into the arms of first base coach George Hendrick.
"He started walking around and you could see him start getting dizzy, start sweating a little bit," said Gonzalez.
Daniel Nava's RBI single was the lone offense for the Red Sox, who saw their five-game win streak halted.
Clay Buchholz (4-2) gave up six hits and a pair of runs over five-plus frames in defeat.
"I thought Buchholz was outstanding for them tonight," said Rays manager Joe Maddon. "Of course, Jeremy matched him pitch for pitch. It was just a great baseball game. Nobody wanted to give it up."
Matt Joyce began the deciding frame with a single, and Pena's base hit moved him to third while signaling the end for Buchholz. Andrew Miller came on by Scott's fly to right plated the go-ahead run.
Jake McGee and Joel Peralta turned back Boston in the next two innings, then Rodney worked around a two-out single from Cody Ross to lock up the victory.
Tampa got on the board in the second thanks to a rare call. With runners on the corners and two out, Buchholz balked to send Pena home.
The Sox countered in the fourth as Jarrod Saltalamacchia doubled, Ross walked and Nava singled.
Hellickson has won a career-best sixth straight decision, dating back to September 4...After dropping the first three meetings against the Red Sox, Tampa has won the last two, and has won four in a row at home over Boston.
- BOSTON: 1
TAMPA BAY: 2
May 16 10:40 PM
- Sean Rodriguez singled to center. On the play, Carlos Pena advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Will Rhymes due up.
Red Sox 1, Rays 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 16 9:25 PM
- Daniel Nava single to center scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia with two outs. On the play, Cody Ross advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 1, Rays 1 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 16 8:32 PM
- Carlos Pena scores on a balk. Will Rhymes advances to second on a balk. Runner on second with two outs and Jose Molina at the plate.
Red Sox 0, Rays 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 16 7:55 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21