Rodriguez the hero as Rays win series over BoSoxMay 28, 2012 - 12:25 AM
"It's just a good feeling knowing you're doing what you can to help the team win. Doing it in this fashion makes it even better," said Rodriguez. "There wasn't a guy on the team who didn't think we could come back and win this game."
Ben Zobrist and Will Rhymes drove in a run apiece for the Rays, who have taken four of five overall. Coupled with Baltimore's loss, Tampa tied the O's atop the AL East with identical 29-19 records.
Jake McGee (2-1) recorded the final out of the eighth and Fernando Rodney turned in a scoreless ninth for his 16th save. Jeremy Hellickson worked 7 2/3 innings, allowing seven hits and three runs.
A three-run blast by Adrian Gonzalez was all the offense for the Red Sox, who have lost three of five. Alfredo Aceves (0-2) took the loss and the blown save after serving up the winning blast.
Aceves walked Zobrist with one down in the ninth, then Rodriguez cleared the Green Monster seats for a 4-3 Tampa edge.
Rodney recorded a 1-2-3 ninth to lock down the narrow victory.
In the top of the fourth, Matt Joyce doubled with one out then moved to third on a Gonzalez throwing error. He then scored on a Zobrist grounder to first.
Rhymes plated Rodriguez with a two-out single in the top of the seventh, but the Sox took the lead in the home half.
David Ortiz walked and Kevin Youkilis singled ahead of a three-run blast just over the Monster from Gonzalez to make it 3-2.
"It was a changeup down in the zone and I was able to keep my head down and bat on it," said Gonzalez of his homer. "This is frustrating for sure, but there's a lot of ball left to play and things are going to happen."
For Rodriguez, the homer was his fourth in the month of May...The loss ensured Boston (23-24) of the latest date it had yet to climb above the .500 mark in any season since August of 1996...Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz lasted seven innings, giving up eight hits and two runs while fanning six...These clubs don't meet again until July 13-15 in Tampa, the series immediately following the All-Star break...Boston has won five of the nine meetings this season.
- TAMPA BAY: 4
May 27 5:01 PM
- Sean Rodriguez one-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Ben Zobrist. Drew Sutton due up.
Rays 4, Red Sox 3 Top 9, 1 OutMay 27 4:50 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez none-out, three-run Home Run (4) to left scored David Ortiz and Kevin Youkilis. Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Rays 2, Red Sox 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsMay 27 3:55 PM
- Will Rhymes single to left scored Sean Rodriguez with two out. Runner on first and Chris Gimenez due up.
Rays 2, Red Sox 0 Top 7, 2 OutsMay 27 3:42 PM
- Ben Zobrist grounded out first to pitcher scored Matt Joyce with two out. None on and Luke Scott due up.
Rays 1, Red Sox 0 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 27 2:43 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 1:39 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21