Lester helps Red Sox slip past CubsJun 17, 2012 - 6:43 AM
"Sometimes crazy times ask for crazy measures," said Valentine of his reasoning hitting Saltalamacchia in the cleanup spot. "I saw his average go from .280 to .250-something and the team (was) losing and he's dragging his head a little. I thought that was a way to make him understand that I believe in him."
Lester (4-4) held the Cubs scoreless through the opening six frames on five hits before the home team touched him up for three runs in the seventh. In all, the southpaw fanned eight while scattering seven hits and walking one in 6 2/3 innings.
Sitting a season-high three games over .500 (28-25) on June 2, the Red Sox mustered just their fourth win in 12 tries since.
Luis Valbuena smacked a three-run shot while Jeff Samardzija (5-5) struck out six and surrendered three runs on four hits and three walks in 5 1/3 innings for the Cubs, who have dropped three of their last four.
"I really took my time out there, went pitch to pitch and I felt great," said Samardzija of his outing.
The Cubs trailed 4-0 before getting back in the game with their three-run seventh.
Jeff Baker led off and flared a double to right. After Tony Campana grounded out, Welington Castillo walked and Valbuena stroked a three-run shot over the wall in left to trim the margin to 4-3.
Alfonso Soriano was booed vehemently for not running out a play on the final out of the inning. Soriano ripped a liner to third base, which Boston third baseman Will Middlebrooks dropped, but he still had plenty of time to get Soriano at first.
Vicente Padilla struck out two in a 1-2-3 eighth and Alfredo Aceves worked around a leadoff single in the ninth to register his 16th save of the year.
The Red Sox tallied a pair to open the scoring in the fourth and added one in both the sixth and seventh innings.
David Ortiz began the fourth with a double and Saltalamacchia cracked a two- run shot into the bleachers in right-center for a 2-0 Boston advantage.
Ortiz and Saltalamacchia worked a pair of one-out walks in the sixth before Will Middlebrooks slapped an RBI single to center for a 3-0 lead.
Mike Aviles lined a double to right to begin the seventh and scored two batters later when Scott Podsednik ripped a single to center.
Boston was 3-for-7 with runners in scoring position and left seven men on base while Chicago went 1-for-4 with RISP and stranded four...Red Sox relievers have tossed 9 1/3 scoreless innings over their last five contests.
- BOSTON: 4
Jun 16 10:24 PM
- Luis Valbuena one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Jeff Baker and Welington Castillo. David DeJesus due up.
Red Sox 4, Cubs 3 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 16 9:34 PM
- Scott Podsednik single to center scored Mike Aviles with one out. On the play, Scott Podsednik advanced to second on Reed Johnson's throwing error. Runner on second and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 4, Cubs 0 Top 7, 1 OutJun 16 9:18 PM
- Will Middlebrooks single to center scored David Ortiz with two out. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia out at third. Runner on first and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 3, Cubs 0 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 16 8:57 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia none-out, two-run Home Run (12) to right scored David Ortiz. Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 2, Cubs 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 16 8:12 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 7:17 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21