Red Sox down CubsJun 18, 2012 - 5:36 AM
Fresh off his promotion, Kalish came through with a go-ahead RBI single, which highlighted a three-run top of the seventh inning, as the Red Sox downed Chicago, 7-4, on Sunday.
Kalish was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket prior the contest for Ryan Sweeney, who was placed on the 15-day disabled list with left big toe inflammation.
"That's what baseball's been for years," Kalish said. "People getting hurt and people stepping up."
Making his first start in over three years -- a spot start in place of Josh Beckett -- Franklin Morales fanned nine and surrendered two runs on four hits in five innings. Beckett was placed on the 15-day disabled list Saturday with right shoulder inflammation.
Matt Albers (2-0) picked up the win after allowing a run in the sixth.
David Ortiz smacked two hits, including a solo homer, registered two RBI and a pair of runs scored for the Red Sox, who have won four of their last five games.
Starlin Castro collected three hits and two RBI for the Cubs, who have dropped four of their last five contests.
They fell to 3-15 against left-handed starters.
"Coming into the season, I thought that one of our strong points would be when left-handed pitchers faced our team," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "It's not that they're doing horrible, we're just not getting the slugging percentage at all against left-handed pitching, which is holding us back from scoring multiple runs in an inning."
The game was tied 3-3 after six frames, but Boston surged ahead with its three-run seventh.
Darnell McDonald doubled and Jarrod Saltalamacchia -- pinch-hitting for Kelly Shoppach -- singled to put runners on the corners with no outs against Shawn Camp (2-4).
James Russell took over for Camp and was welcomed by Kalish, who lined an RBI single to center. Will Middlebrooks lifted a sacrifice fly to center and Daniel Nava's suicide squeeze gave the Red Sox a 6-3 advantage.
Saltalamacchia's RBI groundout made it 7-3 after eight while David DeJesus's sacrifice fly in the ninth concluded the scoring.
Earlier, an RBI double by Dustin Pedroia and a run-scoring base hit by Ortiz gave Boston a 2-0 lead in the opening frame before Castro's RBI triple in the home half and run-scoring double in the third knotted the game at 2-2.
Boston reclaimed the lead in the fourth when Ortiz belted a solo shot to center, but Chicago, aided by a pair of errors, battled back and squared the contest at 3-3 in the sixth.
Darwin Barney led off and reached base on a fielding error by Kevin Youkilis at third. Later, Barney scampered home from third when Albers' throw to second on a Jeff Baker comebacker to the mound was dropped by shortstop Mike Aviles.
Morales made his last start with Colorado on Apr. 21, 2009 against the Arizona Diamondbacks. All of his 15 career starts prior to Sunday also came with the Rockies. He had made 145 straight regular-season appearances out of the bullpen...Boston was 3-for-10 with runners in scoring position while Chicago finished 2-for-12.
- BOSTON: 7
Jun 17 11:25 PM
- David DeJesus sacrifice fly to center scored Tony Campana. On the play, Welington Castillo advances to third. Runners on first and third and with one out and Reed Johnson due up.
Red Sox 7, Cubs 4 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 17 11:21 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia grounded into a fielder's choice, first to short scored David Ortiz. Darnell McDonald out at second, Mike Aviles advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Ryan Kalish due up.
Red Sox 7, Cubs 3 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 17 10:51 PM
- Daniel Nava suicide squeeze bunt to pitcher scored Ryan Kalish. None on with two outs and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 6, Cubs 3 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 17 10:23 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Will Middlebrooks sacrifice fly to center scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. On the play, Ryan Kalish advances to third on Welington Castillo's throwing error. Runner on third with one out and Daniel Nava due up.
Red Sox 5, Cubs 3 Top 7, 1 OutJun 17 10:22 PM
- Ryan Kalish singled to center scored Darnell McDonald. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Matt Albers due up.
Red Sox 4, Cubs 3 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 17 10:21 PM
- Jeff Baker grounded into a fielder's choice to the pitcher scored Darwin Barney. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to second on Mike Aviles's fielding error. Runners on first and second with one out and Joe Mather due up.
Red Sox 3, Cubs 3 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 17 10:09 PM
- David Ortiz lead-off Home Run (16) to center. Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 3, Cubs 2 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 17 9:20 PM
- Starlin Castro doubled to second scored Darwin Barney. Runner on second with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Red Sox 2, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 17 9:15 PM
- Alfonso Soriano struck out swinging. Runner on third with two outs and Jeff Baker due up.
Red Sox 2, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 17 8:31 PM
- David Ortiz singled to right scored Dustin Pedroia. Runner on first with one out and Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 2, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 17 8:13 PM
- Kevin Youkilis flied out to right. On the play, Dustin Pedroia advances to third. Runner on third with one out and David Ortiz due up.
Red Sox 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 17 8:12 PM
- BOSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 17 8:08 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21