Red Sox rally past Marlins to complete sweepJun 22, 2012 - 3:30 AM
Middlebrooks, who went 3-for-4 with four RBI, belted the tying two-run homer in the eighth. Nava's single to center scored Ryan Kalish, who set up the go- ahead run with some heady base-running.
The Red Sox won their fifth in a row and dealt the Marlins their 13th defeat in 15 contests.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia doubled to center leading off the Boston eighth. Edward Mujica then replaced Randy Choate on the mound, but Middlebrooks smashed the tying homer on a 2-2 pitch over the wall in center.
Middlebrooks was playing in his 38th game of the season at the major league level and has been splitting time at third base with Kevin Youkilis.
"It seems like he's doing just fine like this," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said. "He's keeping sharp, he's watching, he's learning, and when he's in there it doesn't look like he's missing a beat."
Kalish followed with a single to right, but his speed on the bases factored in the go-ahead run. Mike Aviles grounded a ball in the hole on the right side. First baseman Gaby Sanchez flipped the ball to Mujica (0-3) for the out, but Kalish was running on the play and raced all the way to third base. Nava then lined a single to center.
Alfredo Aceves retired the side in order in the ninth to earn his 18th save, with Scott Atchison (2-0) tossed two scoreless frames to get the win.
Giancarlo Stanton homered for the Marlins, who scored three times in the opening inning off Daisuke Matsuzaka, but Carlos Zambrano couldn't hold the advantage.
Matsuzaka allowed four hits and as many runs over 5 1/3 frames, while Zambrano gave up five hits and three runs while walking four through five innings.
Boston's starting pitcher didn't adjust well right away to the searing heat. With a game-time temperature of 92 degrees, Matsuzaka struggled in the first inning when the Marlins stole three bases. Jose Reyes led off with a base hit and sped to third on a groundout to shortstop.
Stanton walked and stole second, and with two outs, Greg Dobbs singled to right field for a 2-0 lead. Dobbs stole second on a poor throw from Saltalamacchia behind the plate and scored on Omar Infante's base hit. Infante also swiped second, but was left stranded.
"It's not about how you start, it's how you finish. Our finish line was very narrow," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said. "We have to step it up a notch."
After his hiccup in the first, Matsuzaka retired 14 in a row.
Boston wasted a bases-loaded chance in the first, but got within one in the fourth. Middlebrooks had and RBI single following a pair of hit batsmen, and Aviles lifted a sacrifice fly later in the frame.
Middlebrooks singled in Adrian Gonzalez in the fifth, but Stanton's homer to left and Infante's RBI double, also off the Green Monster in the sixth, gave Florida a 5-3 lead.
Miami returns home to take on the Blue Jays in a three-game weekend series. The Marlins went 1-8 on their last homestand, but they are riding an eight- game win streak over Toronto...The Red Sox host Atlanta this weekend...Middlebrooks has nine RBI over his last five games.
- MIAMI: 5
Jun 21 10:23 PM
- Daniel Nava single to center scored Ryan Kalish. Runner on first with one out and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Marlins 5, Red Sox 6 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 21 10:09 PM
- Will Middlebrooks none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to center scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Ryan Kalish due up.
Marlins 5, Red Sox 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 21 10:04 PM
- Omar Infante double to left scored Greg Dobbs. Runner on second with two outs and Scott Cousins due up.
Marlins 5, Red Sox 3 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 21 9:25 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton one-out, solo Home Run (15) to left. Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 4, Red Sox 3 Top 6, 1 OutJun 21 9:18 PM
- Will Middlebrooks single to right scored Adrian Gonzalez. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ryan Kalish due up.
Marlins 3, Red Sox 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 21 9:08 PM
- Mike Aviles sacrifice fly to center scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Runner on first with two outs and Daniel Nava due up.
Marlins 3, Red Sox 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 21 8:40 PM
- Will Middlebrooks single to right scored Cody Ross. On the play, Jarrod Saltalamacchia advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Ryan Kalish due up.
Marlins 3, Red Sox 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 21 8:37 PM
- Omar Infante single to center scored Greg Dobbs. Runner on first with two outs and Scott Cousins due up.
Marlins 3, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 21 7:33 PM
- Greg Dobbs single to right scored Jose Reyes and Giancarlo Stanton. Runner on first with two outs and Omar Infante due up.
Marlins 2, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 21 7:30 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 21 7:13 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21