Red Sox bounce back, earn DH split vs. YanksJul 8, 2012 - 5:32 AM
Andruw Jones hit a pair of homers in the first game to help New York take a 6-1 decision.
Mauro Gomez, Nick Punto and Ryan Sweeney, who was fresh off the 15-day disabled list, had an RBI apiece for the Red Sox, who improved to 1-4 against the Yankees this season.
Boston starter Felix Doubront (9-4) gave up four runs -- three earned -- on four hits over 6 1/3 innings. He struck out six and walked one.
Mark Teixeira hit a three-run homer for New York, which had a three-game winning streak snapped. Jones and Eric Chavez added solo home runs but the Yankees committed five errors.
"I thought there were some tough hops," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi. "There was miscommunication and it was really probably part of our downfall. That and giving up some 0-2 hits and some two-strike hits."
Phil Hughes (9-7) allowed five runs -- three earned -- on 10 hits over 5 1/3 frames. He fell to 2-6 lifetime against the Red Sox.
The Yankees jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first inning. Derek Jeter reached base on third baseman Gomez's fielding error and moved to second on Gomez's wild throw to first. After Curtis Granderson's bunt single, Teixeira hit a homer to center.
The Yankees have had no trouble getting off to good starts in the series. They scored four runs in the first inning of Saturday's opener and have 12 in the first frame so far in the series.
"I'm not frustrated ... we just have to keep them from scoring in the first inning and give [our] offense a chance to play their game," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said in between games. "Catching up is tough."
New York failed to take advantage of Russell Martin's one-out double in the second. Following a passed ball that moved Martin to third, Darnell McDonald and Jeter both struck out swinging.
Boston started its comeback in the third. Gomez doubled and Ciriaco added a bunt single to begin the inning and a run crossed the plate when Daniel Nava grounded into a double play.
The Red Sox got another run back in the fifth. Ciriaco singled and Nava reached base on McDonald's fielding error, putting men on the corners. Punto's sacrifice fly cut the gap to 3-2.
Ciriaco came up with a big three-run double in the sixth to put Boston in front. Adrian Gonzalez singled, Cody Ross reached first on Jeter's error at short and Gomez singled to load the bases. Ciriaco stepped to the plate and cleared the bases with a double down the left-field line, making it 5-3.
Doubront shut down New York after a slow start, but ran into trouble in the seventh. Jones led off the frame with a homer over the Green Monster and Matt Albers replaced Doubront after Jayson Nix grounded out.
Boston scored four runs in the bottom half to pull away. Gonzalez doubled and raced home on Sweeney's triple to center. Gomez followed with an RBI double to left. Another run scored when Ciriaco reached second on third baseman Nix's fielding error. Ciriaco stole third and then raced home on Martin's throwing error, making it a 9-4 contest.
Chavez homered off Alfredo Aceves in the ninth to account for the final margin.
Boston activated Sweeney from the disabled list prior to the night game. The Red Sox optioned outfielder Ryan Kalish to Triple-A Pawtucket...Boston had 16 hits, compared to six for New York...The Red Sox went 5-for-17 with runners in scoring position and stranded 12, while the Yankees went 2-for-6 with RISP and left six men on...Yankees second baseman Robinson Cano singled in the eighth inning, extending his hitting streak to 14 games over which he is batting .404 (23-for-57) with four doubles, five home runs, 16 RBI and nine runs scored. He is one game shy of equaling Jeter's 15-game hit streak for the longest by a Yankee this season.
- NEW YORK: 5
Jul 7 10:54 PM
- Eric Chavez one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Derek Jeter due up.
Yankees 5, Red Sox 9 Top 9, 1 OutJul 7 10:47 PM
- Daniel Nava flied out to right. None on with two outs and Nick Punto due up.
Yankees 4, Red Sox 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 7 10:06 PM
- Pedro Ciriaco reached second on Jayson Nix's fielding error scoring Mike Aviles. Runner on second with one out and Daniel Nava due up.
Yankees 4, Red Sox 8 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 7 10:02 PM
- Mauro Gomez double to left scored Ryan Sweeney. Runner on second with one out and Pedro Ciriaco due up.
Yankees 4, Red Sox 7 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 7 9:59 PM
- Ryan Sweeney triple to center scored Adrian Gonzalez. Runner on third with one out and Mauro Gomez due up.
Yankees 4, Red Sox 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 7 9:57 PM
- Andruw Jones lead-off Home Run (10) to left. Jayson Nix due up.
Yankees 4, Red Sox 5 Top 7, 0 OutsJul 7 9:35 PM
- Pedro Ciriaco double to left scored Adrian Gonzalez, Cody Ross and Mauro Gomez. Runner on second with one out and Daniel Nava due up.
Yankees 3, Red Sox 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 7 9:18 PM
- Nick Punto sacrifice fly to center scored Pedro Ciriaco. Runner on first with two outs and David Ortiz due up.
Yankees 3, Red Sox 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 7 8:58 PM
- Daniel Nava grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Mauro Gomez. On the play, Pedro Ciriaco out at second. None on with two outs and Nick Punto due up.
Yankees 3, Red Sox 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 7 8:12 PM
- Mark Teixeira none-out, three-run Home Run (15) to center scored Derek Jeter and Curtis Granderson. Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 3, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 7 7:22 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 7 7:17 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21