Yanks pound 3 HRs in rout of Red SoxJul 28, 2012 - 4:18 AM
Phil Hughes (10-8) threw seven strong innings and allowed five hits and three runs to snap a personal three-game winless skid.
The AL East rivals, who were meeting at Yankee Stadium for the first time this season, are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The division-leading Yankees won their fourth in a row at home. They also moved to 6-1 this season against the cellar-dwelling Red Sox.
Dustin Pedroia homered with two outs in the first inning, but the Yankees went ahead for good in the bottom half when Ibanez went deep to right with Mark Teixeira aboard. Teixeira kept the inning alive by beating out a potential double-play ball, which scored a run after Granderson doubled and Robinson Cano singled.
Cook (2-4) was charged with seven hits and six runs over four frames. Carl Crawford and Jarrod Saltalamacchia also homered for the Red Sox, who lost for the sixth time in seven games.
The defeat spoiled the Big Apple return of Boston manager Bobby Valentine. It was his first time back in New York since the 2002 season, the final one of his seven-year run with the crosstown-resident Mets.
Crawford homered to right with one out in the third and Teixeira's sacrifice fly in the bottom half plated Derek Jeter for a 4-2 difference.
Saltalamacchia and Martin traded homers to left in the fourth. After Saltalamacchia's homer, Hughes didn't allow a hit. He was replaced by David Robertson to start the eighth.
"He did a nice job after we got the lead 6-3," Yankees manager Joe Girardi said of Hughes. "He used his changeup some during the course of the game and spotted his fastball pretty well."
Granderson cleared the bases with a shot to right off Mark Melancon for his 28th homer of the year.
"There were a few double plays in that game we didn't turn," Valentine said. "We kept coming back. We came out with the right attitude."
Ichiro Suzuki, who was traded from Seattle earlier this week, went 1-for-4 with a pair of runs scored in his home debut in a Yankee uniform...Granderson had three of New York's 10 hits...Eric Chavez started at third base for the Yankees, but he was hit by a pitch on the shin in the eighth inning and was replaced in the field in the ninth by Jayson Nix...The game lasted 2 hours, 41 minutes, the quickest contest in this rivalry since Sept. 11, 2005...Granderson hit his fifth career grand slam and second of the season...Teixeira has 16 RBI in seven games against Boston thus far this season...Crawford snapped an 0-for-18 slump with his homer.
- BOSTON: 3
NEW YORK: 10
Jul 27 9:50 PM
- Curtis Granderson two-out, Grand Slam (28) to right scored Ichiro Suzuki, Russell Martin and Derek Jeter. Robinson Cano due up.
Red Sox 3, Yankees 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 27 9:36 PM
- Derek Jeter grounded out second to first. None on with two outs and Curtis Granderson due up.
Red Sox 3, Yankees 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 27 8:22 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia one-out, solo Home Run (20) to left. Will Middlebrooks due up.
Red Sox 3, Yankees 4 Top 4, 1 OutJul 27 8:13 PM
- Raul Ibanez intentionally walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Andruw Jones due up.
Red Sox 2, Yankees 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 27 8:06 PM
- Carl Crawford one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 2, Yankees 3 Top 3, 1 OutJul 27 7:47 PM
- Raul Ibanez two-out, two-run Home Run (13) to right scored Mark Teixeira. Andruw Jones due up.
Red Sox 1, Yankees 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 27 7:31 PM
- Mark Teixeira grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scoring Curtis Granderson with two out. Robinson Cano out at second. Runner on first and Raul Ibanez due up.
Red Sox 1, Yankees 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 27 7:28 PM
- Dustin Pedroia two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Red Sox 1, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 27 7:15 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 7:09 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21