Gonzalez, Lester help Red Sox top YanksAug 19, 2012 - 1:49 AM
Pedro Ciriaco had four hits and a run scored for Boston, which bounced back from a 6-4 loss in the opener of the three-game series Friday to get just its sixth win in 17 August games.
Lester (7-10) allowed one run, five hits and two walks, striking out four to win back-to-back starts for the first time since May 14 and 19. In his last outing, the Red Sox beat Cleveland 14-1 on Sunday to help the lefty snap a career-worst seven-start winless stretch.
"If he's able to get it around the plate, he's difficult to hit," said Curtis Granderson, who had a solo homer off Lester.
Nick Swisher had three singles for the Yankees and David Phelps (3-4) pitched a career-high 6 2/3 innings. Phelps struck out seven without a walk, but the rookie right-hander gave up three runs on seven hits to take the loss in just his fifth start.
Carl Crawford, reportedly mulling Tommy John surgery on his left elbow, hit a one-out single in the first before Gonzalez stroked his 14th homer just over the left field wall with two away for the only runs Boston would need.
Swisher's singles in the first and third innings were the only Yankees hits until Curtis Granderson belted his 32nd homer to center in the fourth to cut Boston's lead in half.
The Red Sox restored their two-run edge in the fifth after Ciriaco singled and came home on Nick Punto's double to the right field wall to make it 3-1.
Granderson doubled to lead off the seventh, but Lester retired three in a row in his last inning to strand him at third. Yankees manager Joe Girardi was impressed by what he saw from the Red Sox starter.
"He used his cutter effectively and his fastball inside to some of our guys. He just mixed his stuff up," said Girardi
Andrew Bailey gave up a one-out single to Swisher in the eighth before Craig Breslow came in to get Robinson Cano to ground into a double play on his second pitch.
The Red Sox tacked on a run in the ninth after Scott Podsednik led off with a single, went to third on Ciriaco's double and scored on a Cody Eppley wild pitch.
Eric Chavez hit a leadoff single in the bottom of the ninth, but Alfredo Aceves got three straight outs for his 25th save.
New York first baseman Mark Teixeira missed his second straight game because of a sore left wrist...Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter had a 13-game hitting streak snapped...Boston second baseman Dustin Pedroia extended his hitting streak to 13 games with a double in the eighth inning...The Red Sox placed left-handed starter Felix Doubront on the 15-day disabled list with a bruised right knee, but the move is retroactive to Aug. 10 so he won't be out more than a week. The Red Sox recalled first baseman Mauro Gomez from Triple-A Pawtucket prior to the game.
- BOSTON: 4
NEW YORK: 1
Aug 18 7:21 PM
- Cody Eppley's wild pitch scored Scott Podsednik. On the play, Pedro Ciriaco advances to third on a wild pitch. Runner on third with none out and Nick Punto at the plate.
Red Sox 4, Yankees 1 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 18 7:02 PM
- Nick Punto double to right scored Pedro Ciriaco. On the play, Nick Punto advances to third on Andruw Jones's fielding error. Runner on third with one out and Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 3, Yankees 1 Top 5, 1 OutAug 18 5:29 PM
- Russell Martin grounded out third to first to end the inning.
Red Sox 2, Yankees 1 End 4Aug 18 5:18 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to left scored Carl Crawford. Cody Ross due up.
Red Sox 2, Yankees 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 18 4:15 PM
- BOSTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 18 4:10 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21