Weaver, Angels break out against Red SoxAug 23, 2012 - 5:45 AM Boston, MA (Sports Network) - Coming into Wednesday, Clay Buchholz owned the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and the Boston Red Sox had no trouble against All-Star Jered Weaver.
But Weaver and the Angels got revenge, winning 7-3 in the middle test of a three-game set.
Weaver (16-3), who had lost five of his six Fenway Park starts with a 7.16 earned run average, gave up two runs and seven hits with five strikeouts in seven innings to earn the win.
"Coming into this place, you never know what's going to happen," Weaver said. "I obviously hadn't had too much success here. It was nice to mix in a win."
Howie Kendrick had two hits including a home run for the Angels, who won Tuesday's series opener 5-3.
Despite entering the game with a four-start win streak against the Angels, Buchholz (11-4) tied a career-high by surrendering 12 hits. The right-hander, who gave up eight runs over his previous six starts, was charged for seven in 5 1/3 innings.
"The balls were up in the zone," Buchholz said. "You can't expect to get away with it with a good team like that."
The Angels took the lead in the third inning after Maicer Izturis, Erick Aybar and Chris Iannetta delivered three straight singles to go ahead, 1-0. Buchholz induced a double play from Mike Trout, which minimized the damage but allowed the Halos to take a two-run lead.
Los Angeles plated two more runs in the fourth. Albert Pujols slammed a leadoff double and went to third on Kendrys Morales' groundout. Mark Trumbo lined a single to center to score Pujols.
After Trumbo was caught stealing, Kendrick lofted a double to the right-field corner and scored when Izturis rolled a single up the middle.
Boston got two runs back in the bottom half of the fourth. Jarrod Saltalamacchia started the two-out rally with a base hit and came home on Ryan Lavarnway's double off the Green Monster. Mike Aviles then doubled to left, bringing Boston within two runs.
The Angels blew the game open in the sixth. Kendrick crushed a high fastball into the Monster seats before Izturis and Aybar delivered back-to-back singles to chase Buchholz. After Iannetta struck out, Trout beat out an infield single to extend the inning, allowing Torii Hunter to line a two-run single to right, giving the Angels a 7-2 lead.
Dustin Pedroia scored when Cody Ross doubled and Hunter committed a throwing error in the eighth, but Boston could not come any closer.
The Red Sox left two runners on base in the eighth and ninth, as Kevin Jepsen and Ernesto Frieri escaped the jams to preserve the victory.
Buchholz also gave up 12 hits on April 26, 2012 at Baltimore ... The Red Sox had won eight of 11 matchups with Weaver coming into Wednesday ... Boston has lost six of its last eight games ... Weaver allowed two runs or less for the 17th time in his last 22 starts ... Pujols left the game in the fourth inning due to a tight right calf. Trumbo moved to first base and Vernon Wells entered the game in left field ... The Angels have won their last four games at Fenway Park after losing eight of the previous nine ... Pedroia went 1-for-4 and reached base safely for the 19th time in 20 games in August ... Buchholz made his 100th career appearance ... Los Angeles went 5-for-13 with runners in scoring position and stranded six ... Boston went 3-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left 10 on base.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
Aug 22 10:28 PM
- Cody Ross doubled to right. On the play, Torii Hunter fielding error scored Dustin Pedroia with one out. Runner on second with one out and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Angels 7, Red Sox 3 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 22 9:54 PM
- Torii Hunter single to right center scored Maicer Izturis and Erick Aybar with two outs. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third and Vernon Wells due up.
Angels 7, Red Sox 2 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 22 9:09 PM
- Maicer Izturis singled to right. Runner on first with one out and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 5, Red Sox 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 22 8:55 PM
- Scott Podsednik grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Angels 4, Red Sox 2 End 4Aug 22 8:32 PM
- Maicer Izturis single to center scored Howie Kendrick with two outs. Runner on first and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 4, Red Sox 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 22 8:18 PM
- Mark Trumbo singled to center scored Albert Pujols. Runner on first with one out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 3, Red Sox 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 22 8:13 PM
- Mike Trout grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Erick Aybar with two outs. Chris Iannetta out at second. None on and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 2, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 22 7:54 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Aug 22 7:20 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 7:12 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21