Pena, Rays blast Red SoxSep 20, 2012 - 6:19 AM
Jeff Keppinger added a solo homer and two RBI for the Rays, who are 6 1/2 games behind the Yankees for first place in the AL East. Matt Joyce and Desmond Jennings had two RBI apiece.
"We are alive and we're kicking," Rays manager Joe Maddon said of his club. "We've just got to keep getting on a nice little toasty streak would be good. We have to get hot."
Tampa Bay starter Chris Archer (1-3) allowed three runs on five hits over five innings to pick up his first win in the big leagues. He had six strikeouts and four walks.
Jacoby Ellsbury went 3-for-3 with two RBI for the Red Sox, who had won the first two games of this series.
Daisuke Matsuzaka (1-6) gave up five runs on nine hits over three-plus innings to take the loss.
"It's tough for the guys standing around and watching that," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said of his pitching staff, which issued 10 walks. "They got to find the strike zone."
Holding a 5-3 lead, the Rays exploded for seven runs in the sixth inning. Pena led off with a walk and Jose Molina followed with a bunt single. Pitcher Alfredo Aceves' wild throw allowed the runners to advance to second and third. Jennings cleared the bases with a triple to left-center field. Third baseman Pedro Ciriaco's catching error allowed Jennings to score on the play. B.J. Upton then doubled to left-center field.
Daniel Bard came in from the bullpen and walked Ben Zobrist and Evan Longoria to load the bases with no outs. Luke Scott hit a sacrifice fly and Keppinger added an RBI single. Andrew Miller took over after Joyce walked to fill the bags again. Pena and Molina worked back-to-back walks to force in two more runs, making it a 12-3 game. Scott Atchison got Jennings to ground into an inning-ending double play.
Joyce's RBI single in the eighth made it 13-3.
Boston jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Ciriaco singled, stole second and raced home on Ellsbury's single to left.
Tampa Bay got the run back in the second. Longoria, Scott and Keppinger hit three straight singles to load the bases with no outs. Joyce walked to force in a run. Pena struck out swinging and Molina grounded into a double play to keep it a 1-1 game.
The Red Sox took the lead back in the third. Jose Iglesias walked, moved to second on Ciriaco's single and scored on Ellsbury's single. Dustin Pedroia plated another run when he grounded into a fielder's choice.
The Rays scored a run in the bottom half after Jennings singled, stole second and crossed the plate on Zobrist's single.
Tampa Bay tacked on three more runs in the fourth to go in front for good. Keppinger led off with a homer to left. Joyce singled and scored on Pena's homer to right, making it a 5-3 contest.
Boston is 9-6 versus the Rays this season ... Matsuzaka fell to 2-8 lifetime against Tampa Bay ... Keppinger had three hits.
- BOSTON: 3
TAMPA BAY: 13
Sep 19 10:33 PM
- Matt Joyce single to left scored Luke Scott with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Pena due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 13 Bot 8, 1 OutSep 19 10:16 PM
- Jose Molina walked Jeff Keppinger scored on the play with one out. Bases loaded and Desmond Jennings due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 12 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 19 9:45 PM
- Jeff Keppinger single to center scored Ben Zobrist with one out. On the play, Evan Longoria advances to second. Runners on first and second and Matt Joyce due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 10 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 19 9:36 PM
- Luke Scott sacrifice fly out to center scored B.J. Upton with one out. On the play, Ben Zobrist advances to third. Runners on first and third and and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 9 Bot 6, 1 OutSep 19 9:35 PM
- Desmond Jennings triple to center scored Carlos Pena and Jose Molina, on the play Jennings advances to home on Pedro Ciriaco's catching error with none out. None on and B.J. Upton due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 8 Bot 6, 0 OutsSep 19 9:28 PM
- Carlos Pena none-out, two-run Home Run (18) to right center scored Matt Joyce. Jose Molina due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 19 8:47 PM
- Jeff Keppinger lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Matt Joyce due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsSep 19 8:37 PM
- Ben Zobrist single to center scored Desmond Jennings with one out. Runner on first and Evan Longoria due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 2 Bot 3, 1 OutSep 19 8:19 PM
- Cody Ross flied out to left. Runner on first with two outs and James Loney due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 1 Top 3, 2 OutsSep 19 8:10 PM
- Jacoby Ellsbury single to center scored Jose Iglesias with none out. On the play, Pedro Ciriaco advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dustin Pedroia due up.
Red Sox 2, Rays 1 Top 3, 0 OutsSep 19 8:07 PM
- Evan Longoria scored on a wild pitch. Jeff Keppinger advances to second on a wild pitch. Luke Scott advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third and with none out and Matt Joyce at the plate.
Red Sox 1, Rays 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsSep 19 7:54 PM
- Dustin Pedroia struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Cody Ross due up.
Red Sox 1, Rays 0 Top 1, 2 OutsSep 19 7:19 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 19 7:11 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21