Rays use 6-run 9th to rally past Red SoxSep 21, 2012 - 5:33 AM
Trailing 4-1 entering the bottom of the ninth, Matt Joyce and Jeff Keppinger smacked back-to-back singles off Andrew Bailey before both runners advanced on a groundout.
Carlos Pena then delivered a single into right field to score Joyce before pinch-hitter Stephen Vogt worked a walk to load the bases.
Desmond Jennings scorched a two-run single into center field to tie the game and chase Bailey (1-1) from the contest.
Vicente Padilla took over on the mound and Upton launched his fourth offering over the wall in straightaway center field to make a winner out of Burke Badenhop (2-2), who recorded the final out in the top of the ninth.
"It was a really good game up until then," Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said before emitting a groaning sound.
Jennings finished with three hits and scored twice for the Rays, who have won two straight and sit 5 1/2 games back of Oakland for the final AL wild card spot after the A's downed Detroit earlier on Thursday.
"We've been missing a little bit of the magic this year, but it couldn't get any more magical than 2nite," Rays manager Joe Maddon said via his Twitter account. "There has never been any quit here."
Jose Iglesias clubbed his first major league home run in the setback, as the Red Sox wrapped up a seven-game road trip at 4-3.
Boston broke a scoreless deadlock with a pair of two-out runs in the sixth as Iglesias led off with an infield single to get things started. Cody Ross' double into left-center field scored Iglesias for a 1-0 lead.
Ryan Lavarnway followed with a single into center field that tipped off the glove of shortstop Ben Zobrist, allowing Ross to score for a 2-0 edge.
Boston tacked on a run in the eighth as Lavarnway ripped a one-out double into the right-field corner to chase Rays starter David Price from the contest.
Wade Davis entered and Mauro Gomez greeted him with a triple into center field to score Lavarnway for a three-run lead.
The Rays scored a run in the bottom half on Zobrist's sac fly to pull within 3-1, but Iglesias' solo shot in the ninth restored the visitor's three-run advantage.
Price was charged for three runs on eight hits with seven strikeouts over 7 1/3 innings ... Boston starter Clay Buchholz tossed seven scoreless innings of four-hit ball, while walking two and striking out four ... The Rays completed their Aug. 31 trade for outfielder Ben Francisco by sending left-hander pitcher Theron Geith to the Astros.
- BOSTON: 4
TAMPA BAY: 7
Sep 20 10:26 PM
- B.J. Upton one-out, three-run Home Run (24) to center scored Elliot Johnson and Desmond Jennings to end the game.
Red Sox 4, Rays 7 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 20 10:25 PM
- Desmond Jennings singled to center scored Jeff Keppinger and Rich Thompson with one out, Desmond Jennings advances to second on Jacoby Ellsbury's fielding error. On the play, Elliot Johnson advances to third. Runners on second and third and B.J. Upton due up.
Red Sox 4, Rays 4 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 20 10:23 PM
- Carlos Pena singled to right scored Matt Joyce with one out. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jose Lobaton due up.
Red Sox 4, Rays 2 Bot 9, 1 OutSep 20 10:18 PM
- Jose Iglesias one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Jacoby Ellsbury due up.
Red Sox 4, Rays 1 Top 9, 1 OutSep 20 9:59 PM
- Ben Zobrist sacrifice fly to left scored Desmond Jennings with two out. None on and Evan Longoria due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 1 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 20 9:52 PM
- Mauro Gomez triple to center scored Ryan Lavarnway with one out. Runner on third and Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 3, Rays 0 Top 8, 1 OutSep 20 9:41 PM
- Mauro Gomez singled to right. On the play, Ryan Lavarnway advances to second. Runners on first and second with two out and Mike Aviles due up.
Red Sox 2, Rays 0 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 20 8:57 PM
- Cody Ross double to left center scored Jose Iglesias with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Lavarnway due up.
Red Sox 1, Rays 0 Top 6, 2 OutsSep 20 8:55 PM
- BOSTON: 0
TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 20 7:12 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Boston's Bradley extends hitting streak to 27 games May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21