LaHair leads Cubs past CardinalsMay 15, 2012 - 4:08 AM
Alfonso Soriano drove in the go-ahead run in the eighth inning that would prove to be the difference and Tony Campana scored twice as Chicago won its second straight.
Shawn Camp (2-1) tossed two scoreless innings, allowing just one hit in relief of Ryan Dempster to get the victory, and Rafael Dolis struck out two in a perfect ninth for his fourth save of the year.
Yadier Molina doubled in two runs for St. Louis while Mitchell Boggs (0-1) allowed two runs -- one earned -- on two hits and a walk in two relief frames to suffer the setback, the club's fourth in a row.
"We've got a lot of baseball to play ahead of us," said Cardinals manager Mike Matheny. "We've seen the kind of baseball we can play, and we've seen the kind that we can play on the poor end also if we're not careful."
Tied at four in the eighth, Starlin Castro had bunted into a double play with runners on first and second and no outs. After LaHair was intentionally walked though, Soriano blooped a single to right, plating Campana from second for the eventual winning run.
The Cubs tacked on an insurance run in the top of the ninth when David Freese aired out an errant throw to first on a sacrifice attempt. Geovany Soto sprinted home from second on the play.
Earlier, Chicago had a big inning in the fifth after both teams were held scoreless through four. LaHair smashed a pitch over the wall down the line in right with Castro aboard, in between RBI singles from Castro and Soto.
LaHair is batting .356 for the season.
"I just try to have good at-bats, try to hit balls hard," said LaHair. "I've just been fortunate to have some success at this point in the season."
But St. Louis had its own four-run inning in the home sixth to tie the game. Lance Berkman got the club on the board with a run-scoring single, Yadier Molina ripped a two-run double and he came around to score on Skip Schumaker's base hit.
The Cubs left the bases loaded in the second, third and seventh innings.
Matt Holliday, Skip Schumaker and Freese committed an error apiece for St. Louis...Dempster allowed four runs on nine hits and a walk with five strikeouts over six innings...Cardinals starter Jake Westbrook surrendered four runs on 11 hits and two walk in five innings.
- CHICAGO: 6
ST. LOUIS: 4
May 14 10:24 PM
- David DeJesus struck out swinging. Runner on third with two outs and Tony Campana due up.
Cubs 6, Cardinals 4 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 14 10:15 PM
- Alfonso Soriano singled to left scored Tony Campana. On the play, Bryan LaHair advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ian Stewart due up.
Cubs 5, Cardinals 4 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 14 9:51 PM
- Skip Schumaker singled to center scored Yadier Molina. Runner on first with two outs and Eduardo Sanchez due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 14 9:16 PM
- Yadier Molina doubled to left center scored Matt Holliday and Lance Berkman. On the play, David Freese out at home and Yadier Molina advanced to third. Runner on third with two outs and Skip Schumaker due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 14 9:13 PM
- Lance Berkman singled to center scored Jon Jay. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and David Freese due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 1 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 14 9:09 PM
- Geovany Soto singled to center scored Ian Stewart. On the play, Geovany Soto advanced to second. Runner on second with one out and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 0 Top 5, 1 OutMay 14 8:43 PM
- Bryan LaHair none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Starlin Castro. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 3, Cardinals 0 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 14 8:37 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to left scored Tony Campana. Runner on first with none out and Bryan LaHair due up.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 0 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 14 8:33 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 14 7:09 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21