Pirates sweep Cubs, who have lost 12 straightMay 27, 2012 - 11:51 PM
Garrett Jones smashed a two-run homer and Andrew McCutchen added a solo shot, while Gorkys Hernandez had a two-run single and Neil Walker added an RBI base hit for the Pirates, who swept a series for the first time this season.
Erik Bedard (3-5) went six shutout innings and allowed just two hits and four walks while fanning three to pick up the win.
"We got a bit of mixed bag from Erik early," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said. "But, when push came to shove, he made pitches when he needed to and kept the ball out of the middle of the plate. So, overall, job well done."
Starlin Castro ripped a two-run homer and Darwin Barney added an RBI double for the Cubs, who dropped their 12th straight and are just two losses shy of tying a franchise-worst 14-game skid.
Matt Garza (2-3) was tagged for six runs -- five earned -- on seven hits and a walk while fanning six to absorb the loss in five-plus innings.
Pittsburgh opened the scoring in its first at-bat. Jose Tabata began the inning with a base hit. Josh Harrison reached on an error, which allowed Tabata to get to third to put runners on second and third with no outs. Tabata was then thrown out at home on McCutchen's fielder's choice grounded out, but Alvarez followed and crushed a fastball from Garza to right-center field to give the Pirates a 3-0 advantage.
The Bucs extended their lead to 4-0 in the fifth when McCutchen ripped a fastball from Garza over the wall in left.
Pittsburgh essentially put the game out of reach in the sixth by plating six runs to extend the cushion to 10-0. Walker drew a free pass to start things and Jones followed by blasting a Garza offering into the right field seats to make it 6-0. Rafael Dolis was summoned from the bullpen and walked the only two hitters he face. He was quickly pulled in favor of Michael Bowden. Bedard moved both runners up with a sacrifice bunt and Hernandez ripped a pinch-hit RBI single to score Saturday's walk-off hero Matt Hague.
The inning continued for the Bucs as Harrison walked and McCutchen beat out an infield single before Alvarez brought home Hernandez with a sac-fly and Walker plated Harrison with a base hit into left.
Chicago finally got on the scoreboard in the eighth when Koyie Hill started the inning with a single and Blake Lalli followed with a base hit before Tony Campana grounded out, which allowed Hill to score. Castro then crushed a 1-0 fastball from Chris Resop into the foliage beyond center field to pull the Cubs within 10-3.
Barney launched a double down the right field line to plate Jeff Baker from second to make it 10-4, but Juan Cruz settled down and got Hill to fly out before Lalli grounded out to second to end the game.
"We didn't score again off their starter," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "Three runs really isn't that big of a deal, we just didn't muster up really anything today."
The Cubs concluded a six-game, seven-day road trip without a win and haven't been on the winning side of things since May 14...Chicago's losing streak reached 12-or-more games for just the seventh time in franchise history...The Cubs finished 2-for-7 with runners in scoring position, while Pittsburgh went 4-for-8 with runners in scoring position...McCutchen (2-for-4) reached base for the 34th consecutive game against Chicago.
- CHICAGO: 4
May 27 4:43 PM
- Darwin Barney double to right scored Jeff Baker with one out. Runner on second and Koyie Hill due up.
Cubs 4, Pirates 10 Top 9, 1 OutMay 27 4:41 PM
- Starlin Castro one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to center scored Blake Lalli. Joe Mather due up.
Cubs 3, Pirates 10 Top 8, 1 OutMay 27 4:23 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Tony Campana ground out to first scored Koyie Hill with one out. On the play, Blake Lalli advances to second. Runner on second and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 1, Pirates 10 Top 8, 1 OutMay 27 4:23 PM
- Neil Walker single to left scored Josh Harrison with two out. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to second. Runners on first and second and Garrett Jones due up.
Cubs 0, Pirates 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 27 3:54 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Gorkys Hernandez single to center scored Matt Hague and Michael McKenry with one out. Runner on first and Josh Harrison due up.
Cubs 0, Pirates 8 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 27 3:44 PM
- Garrett Jones none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Neil Walker. Matt Hague due up.
Cubs 0, Pirates 6 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 27 3:30 PM
- Andrew McCutchen two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Cubs 0, Pirates 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsMay 27 3:13 PM
- Pedro Alvarez one-out, three-run Home Run (8) to right scored Josh Harrison and Andrew McCutchen. Neil Walker due up.
Cubs 0, Pirates 3 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 27 2:02 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 1:38 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21