Mets clobber Cubs to avoid sweepJun 28, 2012 - 2:47 AM
Daniel Murphy hit his first two home runs since July 16, 2011 and Scott Hairston crushed his second career grand slam for the Mets, who snapped a season-high four-game losing streak.
"I thought in the last four games he's taken much better swings," Mets manager Terry Collins said regarding Murphy. "His balance has been better at the plate. You haven't seen that one-handed swing that he's been caught doing. You know he's going to break out. Murphy's way too good of a hitter."
Ike Davis picked up three extra-base hits and knocked in four runs and David Wright drove in five more.
Jonathan Niese (6-3) held the Cubs to one run on eight hits and a walk in seven innings. The left-hander also struck out six.
"I knew that he was going to pitch well," Collins said. "In the second inning, he was furious that he gave up the run. I thought the way he approached the game today was great."
After a stellar May in which he posted a 2.48 earned run average, Jeff Samardzija (5-7) has struggled mightily in June. Samardzija gave up nine runs in 4 1/3 innings. He allowed six hits and walked four. In his last four starts, the Notre Dame product has given up 25 runs in 18 1/3 innings.
"I'd be lying if I said I weren't concerned with the numbers and execution of pitches," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "It hasn't been too good for four or five starts now."
The Mets also touched up Casey Coleman for seven runs in 1 2/3 innings in relief.
"We weren't able to get a couple up in the wind and they were," Cubs outfielder Joe Mather said. "They took advantage of pitches that were over the plate and they didn't swing at the balls that weren't in the zone."
After the Cubs tied the game at one in the second inning, the Mets poured on three runs in the fourth and six runs in the fifth and sixth innings.
Davis doubled down the right-field line to score Lucas Duda and give the Mets a 2-1 lead in the fourth. Two batters later, Murphy ended his long home run drought with a fly ball to right.
Davis and Murphy took center stage in the Mets' six-run fifth inning. Wright smoked a two-run double and Davis lofted a three-run bomb to left-center field to make it 9-1. Murphy added a 10th run with his second homer of the day.
Wright's seeing-eye single up the middle drove in a pair in the sixth. After Duda walked to load the bases, Hairston delivered a grand slam to give the Mets a 16-1 lead.
Murphy knocked in his fourth run of the day on a fielder's choice in the eighth inning.
Ramon Ramirez pitched two scoreless frames in relief to close out the win.
The Cubs are 4-17 against left-handed starters this season...Coming into the game, Samardjiza was 3-2 with a 2.36 ERA at home...The Mets are 19-10 in day games this season...Niese is 4-0 with a 1.90 ERA during the day this year. In his last seven starts, Niese is 4-1 with a 2.35 ERA and five quality starts. He has allowed three earned runs or fewer in 11 of his 14 starts this year...Andres Torres who swiped his seventh base in the first inning, has a stolen a base in his last four games (five total).
- NEW YORK: 17
Jun 27 5:09 PM
- Daniel Murphy grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scoring Ike Davis. Scott Hairston out at second. Runner on first with one out and Josh Thole due up.
Mets 17, Cubs 1 Top 8, 1 OutJun 27 4:46 PM
- Scott Hairston one-out, Grand Slam (10) to center scored Ruben Tejada, David Wright and Lucas Duda. Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 16, Cubs 1 Top 6, 1 OutJun 27 4:09 PM
- David Wright singled to center scoring Jon Niese and Andres Torres. On the play, Ruben Tejada advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 12, Cubs 1 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 27 4:05 PM
- Daniel Murphy two-out, solo Home Run 2 (2) to center. Josh Thole due up.
Mets 10, Cubs 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 27 3:45 PM
- Ike Davis one-out, three-run Home Run (10) to left center scored David Wright and Lucas Duda. Scott Hairston due up.
Mets 9, Cubs 1 Top 5, 1 OutJun 27 3:40 PM
- David Wright doubled to center scoring Jon Niese and Ruben Tejada. Runner on second with one out and Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 6, Cubs 1 Top 5, 1 OutJun 27 3:37 PM
- Daniel Murphy two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored Ike Davis. Josh Thole due up.
Mets 4, Cubs 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 27 3:21 PM
- Ike Davis doubled to right scoring Lucas Duda. Runner on second with one out and Scott Hairston due up.
Mets 2, Cubs 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 27 3:18 PM
- Jeff Samardzija struck out swinging, catcher to first to end the inning.
Mets 1, Cubs 1 End 2Jun 27 2:51 PM
- David Wright sacrifice fly out to right scored Andres Torres. None on with two outs and Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 27 2:27 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 2:22 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21