Reds beat Cubs with 9th-inning heroicsAug 20, 2012 - 12:38 AM
Paul led off the final frame against Shawn Camp (3-6) with a pinch-hit triple that landed just inside the right-field line and rolled to the wall. Hanigan followed with a deep drive well over the head of Brett Jackson in center to end the game.
"I thought he might try and jam me, to get a ground ball," Hanigan said. "But I was looking for the heater and he threw it."
It made a winner of Aroldis Chapman (5-4), who tossed a scoreless top of the ninth.
Hanigan knocked in two runs while Jay Bruce and Wilson Valdez added an RBI each for the Reds, who took three of four in the series and have won eight of 10 overall.
Alfonso Soriano knocked in two runs and Dave DeJesus added three hits with two runs scored and an RBI for the Cubs, who have dropped seven of their last 10.
The hosts pushed across a run in the first as, with runners on the corners and two outs, Bruce's single plated Brandon Phillips.
Chicago got a run back in the third as Steve Clevenger worked a leadoff walk, moved up on a Chris Volstad sacrifice and scored on a DeJesus ground-rule double to center.
Cincinnati took a 4-1 lead in the fourth on RBI singles from Valdez and starter Mat Latos along with a sac fly from Hanigan, but the Cubs answered with two in the sixth on a Soriano fly to center and a run-scoring Starlin Castro hit.
DeJesus began the eighth with a single, moved to third on a Bruce error that allowed Luis Valbuena to reach second, and scored on a Soriano groundout for a 4-4 game.
In the top of the ninth, Jackson doubled with one out but was caught stealing second.
"I didn't mind the aggressiveness at all," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum. "You had at least one guy out there trying to win it. I think it shows some character."
Cincinnati posted its ninth walk-off win of 2012 ... The Reds also improved to 9-1-1 in 11 series since the All-Star break ... Soriano has totaled 14 RBI in his last 14 games ... Chicago has lost 15 of its last 19 outings since July 31 ... Latos allowed six hits and four runs -- two earned -- while fanning six and walking three in eight innings ... Volstad lasted six frames, giving up seven hits and four runs ... Following the game, the Cubs announced they claimed pitcher Alex Hinshaw off waivers from the San Diego Padres and transferred pitcher Arodys Vizcaino to the 60-day disabled list.
- CHICAGO: 4
Aug 19 4:06 PM
- Ryan Hanigan single to center scored Xavier Paul with none out to end the game.
Cubs 4, Reds 5 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 19 4:06 PM
- Alfonso Soriano ground out third to first scored David DeJesus with two out. Runner on second and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 4 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 19 3:34 PM
- Bryan LaHair grounded into a double play, short to second to first. On the play, Starlin Castro out at second to end the inning.
Cubs 3, Reds 4 Mid 6Aug 19 3:00 PM
- Alfonso Soriano sacrifice fly to center scored David DeJesus with one out. Runners on first and second with Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 4 Top 6, 1 OutAug 19 2:57 PM
- Mat Latos single to right scored Wilson Valdez with one out. Runner on first and Zack Cozart due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 4 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 19 2:26 PM
- Ryan Hanigan sacrifice fly to right scored Todd Frazier with one out. On the play, Wilson Valdez advances to third. Runner on third and Mat Latos due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 3 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 19 2:25 PM
- Wilson Valdez single to left scored Jay Bruce with none out. On the play, Todd Frazier advances to third. Runners on second and third with Ryan Hanigan due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 19 2:24 PM
- David DeJesus ground-rule double to center scored Steve Clevenger with one out. Runner on second and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 1 Top 3, 1 OutAug 19 1:56 PM
- Jay Bruce single to right scored Brandon Phillips with two out. On the play, Ryan Ludwick advances to third. Runners on first and third with Todd Frazier due up.
Cubs 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 19 1:30 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 19 1:12 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21