Lucroy, Brewers cruise past CubsAug 21, 2012 - 6:07 AM
Rogers (1-1) gave up three runs on five hits and struck out seven over five frames.
"It feels great, it's been a long time coming," Rogers said. "I feel very good about it. Tonight wasn't my best effort of the year. The bullpen came in and really shut (the Cubs) out. When I came out and we were behind I didn't expect to get the win. Getting those eight runs in the fifth really picked me up."
Carlos Gomez added a solo homer and Corey Hart drove in two runs for the Brewers, who are coming off a four-game series split with the Philadelphia Phillies.
Josh Vitters smacked a homer and Anthony Rizzo had two hits, including an RBI double, for the Cubs, losers in four of their last five.
Justin Germano (2-3) was tagged for seven runs on eight hits over 4 2/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"I don't like giving up homers, obviously. I got ground balls that last inning, but they found holes," Germano said. "I tried to limit the damage that last inning, I just want to be as consistent as I can and put the bad games behind me."
The Cubs wasted no time and took a 1-0 lead in the first. David DeJesus doubled to open the game, stole third then scored on an ground-rule double from Rizzo.
The Cubs loaded the bases with one out in the second but were only able to get one run. DeJesus lifted a sacrifice fly to deep left field to plate Welington Castillio. Vitters popped up to short stop to end the inning.
Lucroy hit a homer in the home half to make it 2-1. Lucroy turned on a 1-0 sinker that bounced off the top of the fence in left field.
Vitters extended the gap to 3-1 in the fourth when he blasted his first career homer into the left field seats.
Milwaukee busted the game open with an eight-run fifth inning. Carlos Gomez opened the frame with a single, then moved to second on Jean Segura's ground out. Pinch-hitter Travis Ishikawa followed with a base hit to push Gomez across. Ishikawa moved to third when DeJesus' throw home squirted away from Lucroy.
Norichika Aoki scored Ishikawa with a sacrifice fly to deep left-center field.
Rickie Weeks and Ryan Braun hit back-to-back singles and Aramis Ramirez drew a walk to load the bases. Hart followed with a line drive single to right field to score Weeks and Braun.
"It was nice to finally get him a win," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of Rogers. "I though it his command was a little off, especially early. After a double play in the third his got command better. His fastball had good life on it but his breaking ball he left up in the zone. We were fortunate in the fifth to get some hits in a row."
Lucroy and Gomez then hit back-to-back homer to put the Brewers up 9-3. Lucroy ripped his second homer of the night, a three-run blast into the home bullpen and Gomez followed with one into the left field seats.
DeJesus scored Darwin Barney with a sacrifice fly in the seventh and Castillo scored on a wild pitch in the ninth to make it 9-5.
The Brewers have hit seven back-to-back homers this season ... Lucroy has two multi-homer games in his career ... Injured Brewers pitcher Shaun Marcum made his third rehab assignment with Single-A Wisconsin Monday. He allowed one run on four hits and struck out three over six innings to earn the win ... The Cubs are 2-6 are Miller Park this season, and 50-48 all-time ... Barney extended his errorless streak to 106-games, a Chicago Cubs record.
- CHICAGO: 5
Aug 20 11:30 PM
- Welington Castillo scores on a wild pitch. None on with two outs and Joe Mather at the plate.
Cubs 5, Brewers 9 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 20 11:29 PM
- David DeJesus grounded out to first scored Darwin Barney. None on with two outs and Josh Vitters due up.
Cubs 4, Brewers 9 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 20 10:44 PM
- Carlos Gomez two-out, solo Home Run (12) to left. Jean Segura due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 9 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 20 10:10 PM
- Corey Hart singled to right scored Rickie Weeks and Ryan Braun. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 20 10:02 PM
- Norichika Aoki sacrifice fly out to center scored Travis Ishikawa. None on with two outs and Rickie Weeks due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 20 9:53 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Travis Ishikawa singled to right scored Carlos Gomez, advances to third on David DeJesus's throwing error. Runner on third with one out and Norichika Aoki due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 20 9:52 PM
- Josh Vitters two-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Anthony Rizzo due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 20 9:41 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy one-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Carlos Gomez due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 20 8:57 PM
- David DeJesus sacrifice fly out to left scored Welington Castillo. On the play, Darwin Barney advances to second and Brett Jackson advances to third. Runners on second and third and with two outs and Josh Vitters due up.
Cubs 2, Brewers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 20 8:48 PM
- Anthony Rizzo ground-rule doubled to left scored David DeJesus. Runner on second with one out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 20 8:18 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21