White Sox outlast Brewers for 8-6 winJun 24, 2012 - 3:17 AM
Dayan Viciedo went 3-for-4 with a homer, four RBI and two runs scored for the White Sox, who bounced back from a 1-0 loss in 10 innings on Friday. Gordon Beckham, Alexei Ramirez and Orlando Hudson each drove in a run.
Chicago starter Dylan Axelrod gave up five runs -- four earned -- on six hits over 5 1/3 innings. Jesse Crain (2-1) recorded the final two outs in the seventh to pick up the win.
Ryan Braun, Nyjer Morgan, Martin Maldonado, Cody Ransom and Carlos Gomez had an RBI apiece for the Brewers, who had a two-game winning streak snapped. Norichika Aoki went 3-for-4 with two runs scored.
Milwaukee starter Randy Wolf allowed five runs on eight hits over 5 1/3 innings. Jose Veras (3-3) gave up one run on two hits in the seventh to take the loss.
With the game tied at six, Beckham started the bottom of the seventh with a single off Veras. Paul Konerko was intentionally walked with one out. Rios followed with an RBI single to left-center field to make it 7-6 Chicago.
The Brewers loaded the bases with two outs in the eighth. Addison Reed got Corey Hart to ground into a fielder's choice to end the threat.
Chicago tacked on an insurance run in the bottom half. Ramirez led off with a single, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt, advanced to third when Alejandro De Aza's flied out and scored on Beckham's base hit to left.
Reed tossed a perfect ninth to pick up his ninth save of the season.
The Brewers got the scoring started in the second inning. Aramis Ramirez led off with an infield single and raced home on George Kottaras' two-out double to left.
The White Sox responded with two runs in the bottom half. Konerko and Rios started things with back-to-back singles. The runners moved up to second and third on a sacrifice bunt. Viciedo and Alexei Ramirez followed with consecutive RBI singles to make it 2-1.
But Milwaukee tied the game in the third. Aoki was hit by a pitch, stole second and raced home on Braun's single up the middle.
After A.J. Pierzynski singled in the fourth, Viciedo cleared the wall in right to give Chicago a 4-2 lead.
The Brewers got one run back in the fifth. Aoki hit a two-out single, stole second and scored on Morgan's single to left.
Milwaukee then used a three-run sixth to go in front. Aramis Ramirez singled and Rickie Weeks was hit by a pitch. Will Ohman came into the game and pinch- hitter Maldonado greeted him with an RBI single. Nate Jones was called in from the bullpen. Ransom's RBI single and Gomez's sacrifice fly gave the visitors a 6-4 edge.
But the White Sox scored two runs in the bottom half to tie the game again. Rios singled and stole second. Kameron Loe took over on the mound and gave up an RBI single to Viciedo. Two batters later, Hudson hit an RBI double to right-center field to make it 6-6.
The Brewers placed pitcher Shaun Marcum on the 15-day disabled list and activated first baseman Travis Ishikawa from the 15-day disabled list...Beckham went 3-for-5...The White Sox had 14 hits, compared to 11 for Milwaukee.
- MILWAUKEE: 6
Jun 23 10:51 PM
- Adam Dunn walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Paul Konerko due up.
Brewers 6, White Sox 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 23 10:37 PM
- Alex Rios single to center scored Gordon Beckham. On the play, Paul Konerko advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
Brewers 6, White Sox 7 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 23 10:02 PM
- Orlando Hudson double to center scored Dayan Viciedo. Runner on second with two outs and Brent Lillibridge due up.
Brewers 6, White Sox 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 23 9:30 PM
- Dayan Viciedo single to center scored Alex Rios. Runner on first with one out and Alexei Ramirez due up.
Brewers 6, White Sox 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 23 9:25 PM
- Carlos Gomez sacrifice fly to right scored Martin Maldonado. Runner on first with two outs and Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 6, White Sox 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 23 9:09 PM
- Cody Ransom single to center scored Rickie Weeks. On the play, Martin Maldonado advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Brewers 5, White Sox 4 Top 6, 1 OutJun 23 9:09 PM
- Nate Jones enters the game for the White Sox with runners on second and third and one out.
Brewers 4, White Sox 4 Top 6, 1 OutJun 23 9:07 PM
- Nyjer Morgan single to left scored Norichika Aoki. Runner on first with two outs and Ryan Braun due up.
Brewers 3, White Sox 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 23 8:36 PM
- Dayan Viciedo one-out, two-run Home Run (13) to right scored A.J. Pierzynski. Alexei Ramirez due up.
Brewers 2, White Sox 4 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 23 8:24 PM
- Ryan Braun single to center scored Norichika Aoki. Runner on first with two outs and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Brewers 2, White Sox 2 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 23 8:04 PM
- Alexei Ramirez single to third scored Alex Rios. On the play, Dayan Viciedo advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Orlando Hudson due up.
Brewers 1, White Sox 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 23 7:49 PM
- George Kottaras doubled to left. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to home on Dayan Viciedo's fielding error.. Runner on second with two outs and Cody Ransom due up.
Brewers 1, White Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 23 7:41 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 23 7:15 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- White Sox beat Royals 3-2 to avoid sweep May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21