Helton powers Rockies past RedsMay 26, 2012 - 5:48 AM
Jordan Pacheco had an RBI double and Troy Tulowitzki had three hits, drove in a run and scored a pair for the Rockies, winners in two straight since dropping six in a row.
Christian Friedrich (2-1) allowed three runs on seven hits over five frames. He also struck out six and walked just one.
Rafael Betancourt picked up his eighth save of the season after throwing a perfect ninth.
Todd Frazier drove in a pair of runs and Ryan Ludwick had an RBI double for the Reds, who had a six-game winning streak halted. Joey Votto went 4-for-4 with two doubles.
Johnny Cueto (5-2) was pegged with the loss after giving up five runs on 11 hits over 4 2/3.
The Rockies went ahead 2-0 in the second when Helton hit a two-run homer. Tulowitzki opened the frame with a double before Helton belted his fifth home run of the year.
Colorado tacked on a run in the fourth to take a 3-0 lead. Wilin Rosario hit a ground-rule double, moved to third when Friedrich singled before scoring on Eric Young's bloop single to center.
"That was my first professional hit," Friedrich said. "The last time I had one was maybe in high school, a grounder in the six-hole in summer ball. It felt great."
The Reds used a three-run rally in the bottom of the frame to knot it up at 3-3. Votto and Brandon Phillips hit back-to-back singles. Ludwick doubled two hitters later to plate Votto. Frazier followed with a double of his own to score Ludwick and Phillips.
But the Rockies added two in the fifth to go ahead once again. Carlos Gonzalez doubled to open the inning and Tulowitzki singled to put runners on the corners. A Helton single scored Gonzalez. Pacheco added an RBI double with two outs.
The Reds put runners on second and third with two outs in the seventh but former-Reds pitcher Matt Belisle was able to strike out Phillips to end the threat.
"We had some opportunities, had some chances with runners on base, but just couldn't get that two-out hit," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
A Tulowitzki single in the ninth scored Gonzalez to put Colorado up 6-3.
Colorado's Michael Cuddyer was a late scratch with neck stiffness...The Rockies won back-to-back games for just the fourth time this season...Friedrich picked up his first career hit...Pacheco extended his hitting streak to 10 games...Colorado has scored 20 runs in last three games...Prior to the game, the Rockies placed catcher Ramon Hernandez on the 15-day disabled list and selected the contract of Wil Nieves from Triple-A Colorado Springs...Votto had four hits for the third time this season.
- COLORADO: 6
May 25 10:39 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki singled to center scoring Carlos Gonzalez with one out. Runner on first and Todd Helton due up.
Rockies 6, Reds 3 Top 9, 1 OutMay 25 10:21 PM
- Jordan Pacheco doubled to left scoring Troy Tulowitzki with two out. Runner on second and Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 5, Reds 3 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 25 8:49 PM
- Todd Helton singled to center scoring Carlos Gonzalez with none out. On the play, Troy Tulowitzki advances to second. Runners on first and second and Tyler Colvin due up.
Rockies 4, Reds 3 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 25 8:44 PM
- Todd Frazier doubled to left scoring Brandon Phillips and Ryan Ludwick with one out. Runner on second and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Rockies 3, Reds 3 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 25 8:29 PM
- Ryan Ludwick doubled to right scoring Joey Votto with one out. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on second and third and Todd Frazier due up.
Rockies 3, Reds 1 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 25 8:26 PM
- Eric Young Jr. singled to center scoring Wilin Rosario with one out. On the play, Christian Friedrich advances to second. Runners on first and second and Marco Scutaro due up.
Rockies 3, Reds 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 25 8:14 PM
- Todd Helton none-out, two-run Home Run (5) to right scored Troy Tulowitzki. Tyler Colvin due up.
Rockies 2, Reds 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 25 7:27 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 25 7:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21