Phillips, Reds slug past RockiesMay 28, 2012 - 1:06 AM
Zack Cozart had an RBI double for Cincinnati, which has won eight of its last nine.
Mat Latos (4-2) allowed five solo home runs over 7 1/3 innings but still earned the win.
Aroldis Chapman stranded two in the eighth and walked one in the ninth before retiring the side to pick up his third save of the year. Chapman has appeared in a franchise-record 21 games this season without surrendering a run.
Carlos Gonzalez had two solo home runs and Troy Tulowitzki, Michael Cuddyer and Dexter Fowler also homered for Colorado, which has lost eight of 10.
Jamie Moyer (2-5) gave up all seven runs on seven hits over five innings.
"At some point we have to get to where the mentality of your guys that are out there everyday is that five or six or seven runs gets to be enough," Rockies Manager Jim Tracy said. "It's that simple."
The Reds took a 1-0 lead in the first when Votto hit his eighth home run of the year.
But Tulowitzki's leadoff shot in the second made it 1-1.
Bruce answered back in the home half, crushing a pitch deep into the right field stands to give Cincinnati a 2-1 lead.
The Reds tacked on three more in the third to go up 5-1. Latos was hit by a pitch and Votto singled before Phillips hammered a first-pitch curve ball over the wall in left-center.
Gonzalez clobbered a slider over the right field wall in the fourth to make it 5-2.
The Reds took a 7-2 lead in the fourth on yet another homer. Frazier's bat flew out of his hands, but still connected with the ball, sending it over the wall in left for his fifth home run of the year. Ryan Hanigan followed with a single, moved to second on a Latos sac bunt before scoring when Cozart doubled to right-center.
"I kind of threw the bat out there and it catches it," Frazier said. "I took a couple steps and thought 'Oh my God I think I got it', it never happened before and probably will never happen again."
Cuddyer's homer in the fifth and a Gonzalez homer in the sixth, his second of the game, made it 7-4.
Fowler added a solo shot in the eighth to cut it to 7-5.
The Rockies put runners on the corners with one out in the eighth, but Chapman was able to strike out Gonzalez and Tulowitzki flew out to left to end the threat.
"There is absolutely nothing more you can ask from a ball club," Tracy said. "They played to win, even down 7-1."
Chapman issued a leadoff walk in the ninth but Cuddyer lined out to second before the flame-throwing lefty induced a game-ending 6-4-3 double play.
"We beat some pretty good teams, its always good," Bruce said. "Winning series is key, and we got a big one today and it will be a good flight over to Pittsburgh."
There were 29 home runs hit during the Reds' seven-game homestand (Reds 17, Rockies six, Braves six)...Cincinnati is 8-0 on Sundays this season...The Reds' four home runs are the most they've hit in a game this season...The nine homers hit Sunday were a Great American Ball Park Record...Colorado's Jordan Pacheco had his 11-game hitting streak snapped...Gonzalez had his third multi- homer game of the season.
- COLORADO: 5
May 27 3:52 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Dexter Fowler one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Eric Young Jr. due up.
Rockies 5, Reds 7 Top 8, 1 OutMay 27 3:12 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki lined out to center to end the inning.
Rockies 4, Reds 7 Mid 6May 27 2:46 PM
- Michael Cuddyer lead-off Home Run (5) to center. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 3, Reds 7 Top 5, 0 OutsMay 27 2:24 PM
- Zack Cozart double to center scored Ryan Hanigan with two out. Runner on second and Drew Stubbs due up.
Rockies 2, Reds 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 27 2:16 PM
- Todd Frazier one-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Ryan Hanigan due up.
Rockies 2, Reds 6 Bot 4, 1 OutMay 27 2:13 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Rockies 2, Reds 5 Top 4, 1 OutMay 27 2:02 PM
- Brandon Phillips two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left scored Mat Latos and Joey Votto. Jay Bruce due up.
Rockies 1, Reds 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 27 1:55 PM
- Ryan Ludwick walked. Runner on first with none out and Todd Frazier due up.
Rockies 1, Reds 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 27 1:37 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki lead-off Home Run (7) to left. Jason Giambi due up.
Rockies 1, Reds 1 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 27 1:29 PM
- Joey Votto two-out, solo Home Run (8) to right center. Brandon Phillips due up.
Rockies 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 27 1:24 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 27 1:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21