Bailey goes the distance as Reds top PiratesMay 30, 2012 - 5:07 AM
In the same place he got his first.
Bailey gave up just four hits and a walk Tuesday while striking out five and the Cincinnati Reds rolled to an 8-1 win over the Pittsburgh Pirates.
Throwing 77 of his 103 pitches for strikes, Bailey (4-3) picked up his first complete game since a four-hit shutout over the Pirates on May 12, 2010.
"We struck a couple balls well early, but then after that not a whole lot to speak of," said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle. "We look forward to winning the series tomorrow."
He added two hits, including an RBI single, as the Reds bounced back from a 4-1 loss in the opener of the three-game series on Monday.
The game was delayed almost two hours because of rain, but the Reds showed little rust. They had 12 hits, including three from Jay Bruce, for their ninth win in 11 games.
Pirates starter Charlie Morton (2-6) gave up four runs on six hits and a walk in four innings to take the loss, his third straight.
The Reds took a 2-0 lead on RBI doubles by Bruce and Todd Frazier in the second inning, the only runs they would end up needing.
They went up 4-0 in the fourth after Bruce led off with a double. He went to third on a wild pitch and scored on Frazier's triple to the left field wall. Frazier also scored on the play after shortstop Josh Harrison's relay throw sailed over the Pirates dugout and into the stands.
Andrew McCutchen's two-out triple in the first inning was the Pirates' only hit until the fifth, when they recorded back-to-back-to-back singles by Matt Hague, Rod Barajas and pinch-hitter Casey McGehee. Hague scored on McGehee's hit to get the Pirates within 4-1.
It was the only run Bailey would allow.
"He had great command of his fastball, he threw some outstanding breaking balls and changeups and he minimized his pitches," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "He threw a great ball game."
Bruce walked against Chris Resop to lead off the sixth inning and scored later on Bailey's two-out single to make it 5-1. The Reds then scored three runs off Jared Hughes in the seventh to build an 8-1 lead. Brandon Phillips, Bruce and Ryan Ludwick had three straight RBI singles in the inning.
The Pirates recalled infielder Jordy Mercer from Indianapolis on Tuesday and optioned infielder Yamaico Navarro to the Triple-A club...The Pirates had a four-game winning streak snapped and fell to 5-3 on a nine-game homestand.
- CINCINNATI: 8
May 29 11:34 PM
- Ryan Ludwick singled to left scoring Brandon Phillips. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 8, Pirates 1 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 29 10:55 PM
- Jay Bruce singled to center scoring Joey Votto. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Reds 7, Pirates 1 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 29 10:53 PM
- Homer Bailey singled to center scoring Jay Bruce. On the play, Devin Mesoraco advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 5, Pirates 1 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 29 10:37 PM
- Pinch-hitter Casey McGehee singled to left scoring Matt Hague. On the play, Rod Barajas advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Jose Tabata due up.
Reds 4, Pirates 1 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 29 10:20 PM
- Todd Frazier tripled to left-center scoring Jay Bruce. On the play, Josh Harrison's throwing error scored Todd Frazier. None on with one out and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Reds 4, Pirates 0 Top 4, 1 OutMay 29 9:51 PM
- Todd Frazier doubled to center scoring Jay Bruce. Runner on second with one out and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Reds 2, Pirates 0 Top 2, 1 OutMay 29 9:20 PM
- Jay Bruce doubled to center scoring Brandon Phillips. Runner on second with none out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Reds 1, Pirates 0 Top 2, 0 OutsMay 29 9:17 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 29 9:00 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21