Chisenhall, Indians outslug RedsJun 19, 2012 - 4:43 AM
Casey Kotchman also homered and knocked in three runs and Shin-Soo Choo added a solo shot and an RBI double for Cleveland, which had lost five of six coming in, including three straight in Cincinnati last week.
The Reds followed that Ohio Cup Series sweep by taking three in a row against the Mets in New York, but watched starter Mat Latos surrender seven runs in just four innings on Monday.
His counterpart, Derek Lowe, also gave up seven runs over five frames. Joe Smith (5-1) earned the win with 1 2/3 innings of relief, and Chris Perez converted his 22nd consecutive save despite giving up a run in the ninth.
"Our offense picked us up tonight," Perez said. "They swung the bats really well."
Joey Votto and Jay Bruce both went deep for the Reds, while Scott Rolen, fresh off the disabled list, went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI.
The Indians scored in all but three of their at-bats, pushing two across against Sam LeCure (2-2) in the sixth to break a 7-7 tie.
Carlos Santana began the rally with a single, moved to second on Johnny Damon's double and scored on a Kotchman groundout. Chisenhall looped a base hit to center to knock in Damon for a two-run lead.
Bruce belted a solo homer in the seventh off Smith, though the damage was minimized by Brandon Phillips lining into a double play prior to the blast.
Cleveland added an insurance run in its half on Michael Brantley's sacrifice fly, with Asdrubal Cabrera scoring the eventual game-winning run.
Perez retired the first two hitters in the ninth, but Phillips kept the Reds alive with a base hit, moved to second without a throw and scored on Bruce's line drive single the center.
Ryan Ludwick was caught looking at strike three to end the seesaw battle.
"Both teams were swinging the bat well. They just outhit us," Phillips said.
After a short rain delay, Votto and Choo exchanged solo home runs in the first inning.
The Reds plated two more in the second on RBI singles from Rolen and Ryan Hanigan, then watched the Indians score three in the bottom half on Damon's run-scoring groundout and Chisenhall's two-run shot to right.
Ludwick tied the game in the third by doubling home Phillips, and Rolen followed with another RBI single.
The Indians took the lead back in a three-run fourth, two coming off Kotchman's home run to right-center. Chisenhall then tripled into the right- field corner and came around on Choo's double.
Again Cincinnati answered in its next turn at the plate. Votto led off the fifth with a double and scored easily when Phillips hit one over the third- base bag. The ball skipped past a charging Damon near the bleachers, and the error allowed Phillips to come all the way around to score and tie the game.
The Reds had 14 hits, 11 coming off Lowe...Phillips and Bruce each had three..Latos gave up eight of Cleveland's 13 hits...Choo has three career leadoff homers.
- CINCINNATI: 9
Jun 18 10:21 PM
- Carlos Santana struck out swinging to end the inning.
Reds 8, Indians 10 End 7Jun 18 9:52 PM
- Jay Bruce two-out, solo Home Run (16) to right. Ryan Ludwick due up.
Reds 8, Indians 9 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 18 9:29 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall single to center scored Johnny Damon. Runner on first with one out and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Reds 7, Indians 9 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 18 9:16 PM
- Casey Kotchman ground out second to first scored Carlos Santana. On the play, Johnny Damon advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Reds 7, Indians 8 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 18 9:12 PM
- Jay Bruce lined out to right. None on with one out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Reds 7, Indians 7 Top 5, 1 OutJun 18 8:40 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo double to left-center scored Lonnie Chisenhall. Runner on second with two out and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Reds 5, Indians 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 18 8:30 PM
- Scott Rolen single to right scored Jay Bruce. On the play, Ryan Ludwick advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 5, Indians 4 Top 3, 1 OutJun 18 8:06 PM
- Ryan Ludwick double to left scored Brandon Phillips. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Scott Rolen due up.
Reds 4, Indians 4 Top 3, 1 OutJun 18 8:06 PM
- Lonnie Chisenhall two-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Carlos Santana. Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Reds 3, Indians 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 18 7:52 PM
- Johnny Damon ground out second to first scored Michael Brantley. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Casey Kotchman due up.
Reds 3, Indians 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 18 7:48 PM
- Ryan Hanigan single to right scored Ryan Ludwick. On the play, Scott Rolen advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Zack Cozart due up.
Reds 3, Indians 1 Top 2, 1 OutJun 18 7:36 PM
- Todd Frazier flied out to center. Runners on first and third with one out and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Reds 2, Indians 1 Top 2, 1 OutJun 18 7:33 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo lead-off Home Run (6) to right. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Reds 1, Indians 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 18 7:23 PM
- Joey Votto two-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 18 7:19 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 18 7:16 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21