Reds edge CardsJul 14, 2012 - 6:35 AM
Brandon Phillips registered his sixth three-hit game of the year and scored twice for the Reds, who have won four straight games. Todd Frazier belted a solo homer and scored twice.
"His focus and his determination were keen," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of Phillips. "That's what hitting is all about and that's what playing baseball is all about."
Alfredo Simon (1-1) picked up the win after tossing two scoreless innings.
Adam Wainwright (7-9) allowed four runs on five hits and two walks in 6 1/3 innings for St. Louis, which had won six of its last eight coming in.
"I didn't make many mistakes tonight, really," said Wainwright. "I've had some tough losses this year. That's one of those head scratchers where you just don't know how that happened. I had good enough stuff to win tonight."
Trailing 2-1 after six innings of play, the Reds went ahead after pushing across three runs in the seventh.
With the bases loaded and one away, Hanigan cued a slow roller off the end of the bat to first. Allen Craig ranged to his right to field the grounder, but threw the ball away at first, allowing Phillips and Jay Bruce to score, making it 3-2 in favor of the Reds.
Zack Cozart lifted a sacrifice fly to center two batters later to stretch the advantage to 4-2.
St. Louis got within a run following Shane Robinson's RBI single in the eighth, but the Reds got the run back in the home half after Ryan Ludwick smacked an RBI triple to make it 5-3.
Aroldis Chapman struck out the side in the ninth to notch his 12th save of the season. He has fanned 74 batters in 40 1/3 innings pitched this season.
The Cardinals struck first with a run in the opening frame and another in the third.
Carlos Beltran worked a leadoff walk in the first, advanced to third two batters later following Yadier Molina's double and after David Freese walked, he scored when Skip Schumaker slapped a single to right, giving St. Louis a 1-0 lead.
Back-to-back singles by Rafael Furcal and Jon Jay put runners on the corners to begin the third. Furcal crossed the plate when Matt Holliday rolled into a fielder's choice, extending the margin to 2-0.
Cincinnati got on the board in the fifth following Frazier's opposite-field solo homer, which cut the deficit to 2-1.
Reds starter Mat Latos surrendered two runs on four hits and three walks in five innings. He hasn't lost a decision since April 18 -- 15 starts -- and is 7-0 during that span...Holliday extended his hitting streak to 12 games...Ludwick's triple was his first of the season...Frazier has 10 homers on the year, the most by a Reds rookie third baseman in franchise history.
- ST. LOUIS: 3
Jul 13 10:25 PM
- Ryan Ludwick double to right scored Brandon Phillips. Runner advances to third on the throw with two out and Sean Marshall due up.
Cardinals 3, Reds 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 13 10:11 PM
- Tyler Greene is Pinch-hitting for Victor Marte.
Cardinals 3, Reds 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 13 9:53 PM
- Drew Stubbs struck out swinging to end the inning.
Cardinals 2, Reds 4 End 7Jul 13 9:37 PM
- Victor Marte enters the game with runners on second and third and one out.
Cardinals 2, Reds 3 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 13 9:31 PM
- Todd Frazier one-out, solo Home Run (10) to right. Ryan Hanigan due up.
Cardinals 2, Reds 1 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 13 8:40 PM
- Matt Holliday single to short scored Rafael Furcal. On the play, Jon Jay advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 2, Reds 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 13 7:59 PM
- Skip Schumaker single to right scored Yadier Molina. On the play, David Freese advances to third. Runners on first and third with two out and Adam Wainwright due up.
Cardinals 1, Reds 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 13 7:37 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 13 7:12 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21