Phillips, Ludwick lead Reds past BrewersJul 22, 2012 - 3:03 AM
Jay Bruce and Scott Rolen also knocked in a run for the Reds, who have won three straight and 10 of their last 12 games.
Bronson Arroyo (5-6) allowed two runs on five hits and two walks with six strikeouts over six innings to earn the win.
Yovani Gallardo (8-7) surrendered four runs on nine hits over 5 2/3 innings for Milwaukee, which has dropped four of its last seven.
"I thought he came out throwing the ball well, but all of a sudden you have got people on base and they're scoring runs," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said about Gallardo.
Cincinnati opened the scoring in their first at-bat with three straight one- out singles by Zack Cozart, Phillips and Bruce, scoring Cozart and placing runners on the corners.
Rolen then lifted a sacrifice fly to left field to plate Phillips before Ludwick pulled a ball over the left-field wall to give the Reds a quick 4-0 lead.
"I worked the count in my favor and got a fastball," Ludwick said about his home run. "To get four runs in the first off [Gallardo], you have got to take it. He's pretty good."
Milwaukee squandered a leadoff double by Aramis Ramirez in the second inning but was able to get on the board in the fourth when Travis Ishikawa started the frame with a ground-rule double to right field. He came home three batters later on a Corey Hart base hit to left.
The Brewers added another run in the sixth after Ishikawa hit a leadoff double to right-center field, advanced to third on Ryan Braun's single and came home on Ramirez's double-play groundout to get within 4-2.
Cincinnati failed to add to its lead in the home sixth when Rolen was thrown out at home on a Ludwick grounder following a one-out triple. The Reds also left the bases loaded in the inning, but regained some cushion in the seventh on Phillips' two-run homer into the left-field bleachers.
Cozart walked prior to Phillips' 12th home run of the year.
Milwaukee did not threaten again as Sean Marshall and Sam LeCure combined to pitch a perfect seventh and Logan Ondrusek tossed a 1-2-3 ninth to close out the game.
Arroyo improved to 13-8 in 27 career appearances -- 24 starts -- against the Brewers...Gallardo fell to 4-5 in 14 career starts against Cincinnati...It was the 74th straight game at Great American Ball Park with a home run...The Reds lead the all-time series between the teams, 123-108-1, and the season series by a mark of 6-2.
- MILWAUKEE: 2
Jul 21 10:11 PM
- Brandon Phillips one-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left scored Zack Cozart. Jay Bruce due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 21 9:43 PM
- Aramis Ramirez grounded into a double play, short to second to first, scoring Travis Ishikawa with two out. Ryan Braun out at second. None on and Corey Hart due up.
Brewers 2, Reds 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 21 8:48 PM
- Corey Hart singled to left scoring Travis Ishikawa with two out. Runner on first and Rickie Weeks due up.
Brewers 1, Reds 4 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 21 8:09 PM
- Ryan Ludwick two-out, two-run Home Run (15) to left scored Jay Bruce. Todd Frazier due up.
Brewers 0, Reds 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 21 7:27 PM
- Scott Rolen sacrifice fly out to left scored Brandon Phillips with two out. Runner on first and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Brewers 0, Reds 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 21 7:24 PM
- Jay Bruce singled to center scoring Zack Cozart with one out. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on first and third and Scott Rolen due up.
Brewers 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 21 7:23 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Jul 21 7:14 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21