Padres put an end to Reds' 10-game win streakJul 31, 2012 - 3:27 AM
Alonso tallied four hits, three of which were doubles, an RBI and run scored while Volquez wobbled through five innings as the San Diego Padres used a five-run second and four-run third to down the Reds, 11-5, in the opener of a four-game set.
Volquez and Alonso, along with catcher Yasmani Grandal and pitcher Brad Boxberger, were sent from Cincinnati to San Diego for pitcher Mat Latos as part of a five-player swap in December.
Volquez (7-7) surrendered five runs on six hits and three walks in five innings. Alonso, meanwhile, is 9-for-18 with a homer and six RBI over his last four contests.
San Diego moved to 15-10 in July.
Cincinnati was seeking its first 11-game winning streak in 55 years. The 1939 and 1957 Reds hold the club record with 12 straight victories.
The New York Yankees also won 10 consecutive games earlier this year from June 6-18.
Mike Leake (4-7) started the game for Cincinnati and allowed five runs on five hits and three walks in just 1 2/3 innings.
"It was just a situation where he kept missing...he walked quite a few tonight," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of Leake.
In all, Reds pitching walked 11 batters in the contest.
The Reds struck first with three runs in the opening frame as Drew Stubbs stroked an opposite-field solo shot and Ryan Ludwick belted a two-out, two-run double into the gap in left-center.
But the Padres surged ahead after plating nine runs over the next two frames.
In the second, Everth Cabrera ripped an RBI single to left, Alexi Amarista lined a sacrifice fly to right to plate a run, Will Venable had a run-scoring base hit to right and Carlos Quentin's two-run single to center made it 5-3 in favor of San Diego.
With the bases loaded and two away in the third, Venable cleared the bags when he laced a triple into the gap in left-center. Venable then scored on a wild pitch to make it 9-3.
Jay Bruce clubbed a towering solo blast in the home third, but Alonso got the run back for San Diego in the fourth when he scorched an RBI double into the gap in right-center, giving the Padres a 10-4 cushion.
Scott Rolen poked an RBI single into right in the fifth, but Quentin cracked a leadoff blast in the eighth to make it 11-5.
Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco was ejected in the third inning for arguing balls and strikes...Cincinnati dropped to 11-3 over its last 14 games without Joey Votto...Cincinnati was 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position, while San Diego finished 4-for-14...Venable recorded two hits, four RBI and two runs scored...Bruce's homer was his 21st of the year...Grandal left the contest in the second inning after straining his oblique on a swing.
- SAN DIEGO: 11
Jul 30 11:01 PM
- John Baker grounded out second to first. None on with one out and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 11, Reds 5 Top 8, 1 OutJul 30 10:28 PM
- Scott Rolen singled to right scored Drew Stubbs. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Padres 10, Reds 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 30 9:30 PM
- Yonder Alonso doubled to center scored John Baker. Runner on second with none out and Cameron Maybin due up.
Padres 10, Reds 4 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 30 8:46 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, solo Home Run (21) to right. Scott Rolen due up.
Padres 9, Reds 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 30 8:37 PM
- Alfredo Simon wild pitch scored Will Venable. None on with two outs and Chase Headley at the plate.
Padres 9, Reds 3 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 30 8:26 PM
- Alfredo Simon enters the game for the Reds with runners on first and third and two out.
Padres 5, Reds 3 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 30 7:56 PM
- Will Venable singled to right scored Everth Cabrera. On the play, Edinson Volquez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chase Headley due up.
Padres 3, Reds 3 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 30 7:49 PM
- Edinson Volquez grounded into a fielder's choice, pitcher to catcher. On the play, Everth Cabrera advances to second and Cameron Maybin advances to third and Yonder Alonso out at home. Bases loaded with one out and Alexi Amarista due up.
Padres 1, Reds 3 Top 2, 1 OutJul 30 7:44 PM
- Ryan Ludwick doubled to left scored Jay Bruce and Scott Rolen. On the play, Ludwick advances to third on the throw. Runner on third with two outs and Miguel Cairo due up.
Padres 0, Reds 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 30 7:34 PM
- Drew Stubbs one-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. Brandon Phillips due up.
Padres 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 30 7:24 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 7:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22