Braun boosts Brewers past RedsAug 9, 2012 - 3:47 AM
Braun, who was hitless in his previous 18 at-bats, poked a double to left- center to score Carlos Gomez. Gomez tied the game with an RBI single before Braun's double.
Earlier, Norichika Aoki reached on an infield single with two outs, stole second then moved to third on a throwing error by Reds catcher Dioner Navarro. Gomez followed with a single that just cleared the glove of a leaping Wilson Valdez to plate Aoki. Gomez then stole second before scoring on Braun's double.
"We didn't hit a lot in St. Louis, especially in scoring position," Ron Roenicke said. "We finally got some breaks this series with Gomez's blooper and Braun's hit and out starting pitching was outstanding."
Jim Henderson worked around a two-out walk in the ninth to pick up his second save in as many games.
Gomez finished the contest 2-for-4 with a solo home run.
John Axford (4-6) earned the win after tossing a perfect eighth. Randy Wolf started for Milwaukee, allowing two runs on six hits over six frames. Wolf struck out seven and walked just two in the win.
Newly-acquired Jonathan Broxton (1-1) absorbed the loss after giving up the game-tying and winning runs in the eighth. Mat Latos went seven innings, allowing just one run on three hits and struck out eight. Latos snapped a three-start winning streak.
Navarro's homer in the third put the Reds up 2-0. Miguel Cairo singled before Navarro lifted his first homer of the season over the wall in left.
With the bases loaded in the sixth the Brewers used two stellar defensive plays to keep it 2-0. First Cairo skied a foul ball near the wall in shallow right and Aoki made a running catch and fired a strike to the plate to keep Brandon Phillips at third. Navarro then ripped a hard grounder down the third base line but Ramirez made a spectacular diving stab and gunned it across the infield from his knees to end the inning.
"That was a big play by Ramirez, it kept the ball from going down the line. And Corey made a great play to dig it out," Wolf said. "The bullpen did a great job and we got some big hits. Gomez's hit (in the eighth) put a lot of pressure on them."
In the home half Gomez stroked a solo shot to center to trim the deficit to one run.
"(Latos) is one of the best pitchers of the game," Gomez said. "I was trying to take advantage of anything because I know he's tough. On the home run I tried to get something I could drive out of the ball park and just put a good swing on it."
Aoki extended his hitting-streak to 11 games...Brewers shortstop Jean Segura picked up his first career hit with an infield single in the fifth...Brewers pitcher Sean Marcum is scheduled to make a rehab start with Class A Wisconsin tomorrow night vs Cedar Rapids...Milwaukee has a season-high six game home winning streak...The Reds have lost four in a row and were swept for just the second time all season. They lost three in a row to the Indians June 18-20...Gomez's homer in the sixth snapped Latos' 19 2/3 inning scoreless streak...The Reds still lead in the series 7-5 with one more three-game set scheduled for September 25-27. The Brewers haven't won the season series since 2006.
- CINCINNATI: 2
Aug 8 5:04 PM
- Ryan Braun doubled to center scoring Carlos Gomez. Runner on second with two outs and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 8 4:46 PM
- Carlos Gomez singled to left scoring Norichika Aoki. Runner on first with two outs and Ryan Braun due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 8 4:44 PM
- Carlos Gomez one-out, solo Home Run (10) to center. Ryan Braun due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 1 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 8 3:56 PM
- Dioner Navarro none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Miguel Cairo. Mat Latos due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 8 2:45 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 8 2:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21