Holliday, Craig lead Cards past RedsAug 27, 2012 - 5:07 AM
Holliday finished a home run shy of the cycle, drove in four and scored twice, while Craig belted a two-run blast and added an RBI single.
"He's got that knack of getting the big hit," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said of Craig.
Jon Jay added a run-scoring single and Matt Carpenter finished with three hits for the Cardinals, who pulled within six games of the NL Central-leading Reds.
"When they start rolling, they really roll," Cincinnati manager Dusty Baker said of St. Louis. "It was a situation where they came in swinging the bats."
Adam Wainwright (13-10) gave up two runs over 5 2/3 innings and won his fifth straight start. He struck out two and did not issue a walk.
The Reds, who lost just their second series since the All-Star break (9-2-2), got sixth-inning RBI singles from Chris Heisey and Ryan Ludwick.
Homer Bailey (10-9) was charged with five runs on nine hits with three strikeouts over six innings in the loss. He did not issue a walk.
Wainwright, who dropped his two previous starts against Cincinnati this season, faced the minimum through the first four innings despite giving up a pair of hits.
In the first inning, Brandon Phillips singled with two down but was thrown out by right fielder Carlos Beltran when he tried to reach second base on the play.
In the second, Todd Frazier grounded into an inning-ending doubleplay after Jay Bruce singled.
The Cardinals, winners of four of their last five games, went ahead with a three-run third.
Skip Schumaker led off with a double and Wainwright's one-out single placed runners on the corners before Jay ripped a base hit up the middle.
Carpenter then singled to load the bases and Holliday placed a grounder through the left side of the infield for a 3-0 lead.
In the sixth, Holliday led off with his second triple of the season and Craig followed with an upper-decker shot down the left field line -- his 20th homer of the year.
An inning later, pinch-hitter Shane Robinson singled, moved up on a groundout, and scored on Holliday's two-out double to left.
Craig followed with an RBI single and Holliday capped the scoring in the ninth when he singled on the heels of Carpenter's leadoff double.
Wainwright hasn't given up more than two earned runs in a start since July 13 -- a span of eight starts ... The teams have split 12 games this season ... Baker said that former NL MVP Joey Votto will begin a rehab assignment later in the week. Votto has been on the disabled list since July 17 with a left knee injury.
- ST. LOUIS: 8
Aug 26 4:25 PM
- Matt Holliday singled to center scoring Matt Carpenter. Runner on first with none out and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 8, Reds 2 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 26 4:09 PM
- Allen Craig singled to right scoring Matt Holliday. Runner on first with two outs and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 7, Reds 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 26 3:22 PM
- Matt Holliday doubled to left scoring Shane Robinson. Runner on second with two outs and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 6, Reds 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 26 3:19 PM
- Ryan Ludwick singled to center scoring Zack Cozart. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Cardinals 5, Reds 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 26 3:04 PM
- Chris Heisey singled to left scoring Ryan Hanigan. On the play, Zack Cozart advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Brandon Phillips due up.
Cardinals 5, Reds 1 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 26 2:59 PM
- Allen Craig none-out, two-run Home Run (20) to left scored Matt Holliday. Carlos Beltran is due up.
Cardinals 5, Reds 0 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 26 2:42 PM
- Allen Craig struck out swinging. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 3, Reds 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 26 1:53 PM
- Jon Jay singled to center scoring Skip Schumaker. On the play, Adam Wainwright advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Matt Carpenter due up.
Cardinals 1, Reds 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 26 1:44 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 26 1:11 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21