Indians power past MarinersMay 17, 2012 - 3:39 AM
Jason Kipnis and Carlos Santana also added RBI doubles for the Indians, winners in three straight. Shin-Soo Choo had three hits and scored two runs.
Ubaldo Jimenez (4-3) earned the win after giving up three runs on five hits while striking out four over six frames.
Dustin Ackley went 3-for-4 with a two-run homer and Michael Saunders had two hits for the Mariners, who have dropped five of six on their current 10-game road trip.
Felix Hernandez (3-3) took the loss after being tagged for eight runs -- six earned -- on 10 hits in just 3 2/3 innings.
"For the most part we laid off his off-speed stuff, which starts in the zone and breaks down," Hafner said of Hernandez. "We were able to get good pitches and put good swings on balls for base hits."
The Mariners jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first. Ackley singled to open the frame, then moved to third when Saunders followed with a base hit of his own. Ichiro Suzuki grounded out to short to score Ackley.
But the Indians answered back with four runs of their own in the home half.
With the bases loaded and no outs, Hernandez's cutter skipped past catcher Jesus Montero, allowing a run to score. Hafner then grounded out to second, knocking in Kipnis, who reached earlier on a single. Carlos Santana drew a walk to put runners on the corners before stealing second.
Montero faked a throw to second to get Santana before throwing to third attempting to catch Asbrudal Cabrera, who reached earlier after being hit by a pitch. The throw sailed into left field, where Chone Figgins fielded the ball and rifled it home. Montero was unable to block the short hop and the ball skipped to the backstop allowing Cabrera and Santana to score.
Seattle made it a 4-3 game in the third when Ackley launched a Jimenez changeup into the right field bleachers. Brendan Ryan drew a leadoff walk before Ackley smacked his third homer of the season.
"He threw me a splitter that just kind of hung up and stayed in a little bit and I was able to get the barrel to it," said Ackley. "Fortunately right field isn't too far, so I was able to sneak it out over there."
Cleveland put together another big inning in the fourth, plating four to take an 8-3 lead. Choo singled then scored when Kipnis laced a Hernandez offering off the wall in left-center for a double. Hafner then doubled two hitters later to plate Kipnis before scoring when Santana also roped a double into the left-center gap. Michael Brantley knocked in Santana with a single.
Hafner's solo homer in the sixth gave the Tribe a commanding 9-3 advantage.
Cleveland improved to 9-4 against the American League West in 2012...Cabrera recorded his team-leading 12th multi-hit game...Ackley extended his hitting streak to 12 games...Kyle Seager has recorded a hit in all eight games he's played in his career against Cleveland.
- SEATTLE: 3
May 16 10:08 PM
- Travis Hafner lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Carlos Santana due up.
Mariners 3, Indians 9 Bot 6, 0 OutsMay 16 9:21 PM
- Johnny Damon singled to center. On the play Johnny Damon out at second, center to first to short to first to end the inning.
Mariners 3, Indians 8 End 4May 16 8:53 PM
- Carlos Santana doubled to left center scoring Travis Hafner with two out. Runner on second and Michael Brantley due up.
Mariners 3, Indians 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 16 8:43 PM
- Travis Hafner doubled to right center scoring Jason Kipnis with two out. Runner on second and Carlos Santana due up.
Mariners 3, Indians 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsMay 16 8:42 PM
- Dustin Ackley none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right scored Brendan Ryan. Michael Saunders due up.
Mariners 3, Indians 4 Top 3, 0 OutsMay 16 8:04 PM
- With Johnny Damon batting, Carlos Santana stole second. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera scored on Jesus Montero's throwing error. Carlos Santana scored on Chone Figgins's throwing error with two out. None on and Johnny Damon at the plate.
Mariners 1, Indians 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 16 7:44 PM
- Travis Hafner grounded out second to first scoring Jason Kipnis with one out. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third. Runner on third and Carlos Santana due up.
Mariners 1, Indians 2 Bot 1, 1 OutMay 16 7:32 PM
- With Travis Hafner batting, Shin-Soo Choo scored on a passed ball by Jesus Montero. On the play, Jason Kipnis advances to third and Asdrubal Cabrera advances to second. Runners on second and third with none out and Travis Hafner at the plate.
Mariners 1, Indians 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 16 7:31 PM
- Ichiro Suzuki grounded out short to first scoring Dustin Ackley with one out. Runner on second and Jesus Montero due up.
Mariners 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 16 7:15 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 16 7:07 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Mariners place Marte on 15-day DL, recall Taylor May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21