Ramirez lifts Marlins to win over IndiansMay 19, 2012 - 6:35 AM
With Tony Sipp (0-2) on the mound, Bryan Petersen walked, moved to second on a Jose Reyes sacrifice bunt before advancing to third on a throwing error from pitcher Joe Smith. Ramirez then fought off three sinkers before roping a deep line drive to center that plated Petersen.
Carlos Zambrano (2-2) earned the win after giving up two runs on four hits over seven frames.
"I felt good. Everything was working today," said Zambrano. "I gave up two runs but that didn't stop me from battling and giving some strong innings."
Heath Bell earned his fourth save of the season after pitching a perfect ninth.
Omar Infante and Greg Dobbs also drove in runs for Miami, winners in three of their last four.
The Indians jumped ahead 2-0 in the second frame. Johnny Damon walked, then scored when Casey Kotchman roped a double to right. Giancarlo Stanton bobbled the ball before firing it home, but Damon slid by the tag. Kotchman scored two batters later when Shin-Soo Choo dropped in a single in left-center.
The Marlins came back with a run in the third to make it 2-1. Petersen drew a leadoff walk then moved to third on a Reyes single before scoring when Infante grounded into a fielder's choice.
Miami tied the game in the sixth at 2-2 following a Dobbs sacrifice fly. Infante walked then moved to third on a Ramirez double. Dobbs then sliced the Masterson offering into foul territory in left where Damon caught it and came up firing. The throw wasn't close to its target and Infante scored easily.
"When you only score two runs you have to play almost perfect baseball and we didn't," Indians manager Manny Acta said.
Bell picked up his first save in seven appearances...Miami improved to 7-3 all-time against the Tribe...Cleveland had a four game win streak snapped...The Indians fell to 10-11 at home this season...Cleveland starter Justin Masterson gave up two runs on six hits over seven innings in the start.
- MIAMI: 3
May 18 9:43 PM
- Hanley Ramirez sacrifice fly out to center scored Bryan Petersen. Runner on first with two outs and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 3, Indians 2 Top 8, 2 OutsMay 18 9:17 PM
- Greg Dobbs sacrifice fly out to left scored Omar Infante. Runner on second with two outs and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 2, Indians 2 Top 6, 2 OutsMay 18 8:41 PM
- Omar Infante grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Bryan Petersen Jose Reyes out at second. Runner on first with one out and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Marlins 1, Indians 2 Top 3, 1 OutMay 18 7:49 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo singled to center scored Casey Kotchman. On the play, Jose Lopez advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Jason Kipnis due up.
Marlins 0, Indians 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 18 7:40 PM
- Jose Lopez walked. Runners on first and third with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Marlins 0, Indians 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 18 7:37 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 7:07 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21