Dobbs, Johnson help Marlins top TribeMay 20, 2012 - 11:17 PM
Jose Reyes was 2-for-5 with a double and a run scored and Hanley Ramirez knocked in a run and also scored one for Miami, winners in four of its last six.
Josh Johnson (2-3) earned the win after holding the Indians to one run on five hits in seven innings of work.
"It was a good win for us we won the series. That's what we want to do, keep winning series," Johnson said. "It is a tight race so far, and hopefully it continues that way and we can just keep moving up (in the standings)."
Jose Lopez went 3-for-4 with two RBI for Cleveland, losers in two of three.
Derek Lowe (6-2) was pegged with the loss after giving up two runs on six hits over six frames.
It looked as if the Indians were poised for a ninth inning comeback after scoring two runs, but Heath Bell was able to get Shin-Soo Choo to fly out with a runner on third to secure the win for Miami.
Michael Brantley reached on a fielder's choice then moved to second when Johnny Damon beat out an infield hit. Bell then entered the game and immediately gave up a double to Lopez, which plated Brantley. Casey Kotchman then grounded out to first, allowing Damon to score and moved Lopez to third with two outs before the Choo fly out.
The Marlins wasted no time and went ahead 1-0 in the first. Reyes opened the game with a double, moved to third on a Bryan Petersen sacrifice bunt and scored when Ramirez grounded out to second.
Miami went up 2-0 in the third after Dobbs hit an RBI double. Ramirez reached on a two-out single before scoring when Dobbs blasted a 2-0 cutter off the fence for a double.
The Indians got on the board in the fifth to cut the lead to 2-1. Brantley opened the frame with a single, stole second and moved to third on a Damon ground out. Lopez followed with a single to score Brantley.
It looked like Cleveland was going to score at two different times in the seventh. With Carlos Santana on first after a single, Damon hit a towering shot to right, but the ball died and was caught on the warning track. Lopez then crushed a double to left but Santana had a bad jump from first and was forced to stay at third. Casey Kotchman struck out to end the inning, stranding runners on second and third.
Miami added a trio of insurance runs, that it would need, in the eighth to go up 5-1. Dobbs laced a leadoff double to right and Giancarlo Stanton walked to put runners on first and second with no outs. Logan Morrison followed with a double off the wall in left to plate Dobbs and Stanton moved to third. Brett Hayes then singled to score Stanton. Morrison, who moved to third on the single, scored when Chris Coghlan grounded out.
"It always comes down to the same cliches," said Lowe. "They got the big hit when they had to and made the big pitch."
The Marlins were without the services of second baseman Emilio Bonifacio. Bonifacio, the major league leader in stolen bases, was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained thumb retroactive to May 19.
"It was another well pitched ball game and we just cracked first out of the bullpen," said Indians manager Manny Acta. "A couple of walks came back to haunt us. That is something we need to improve upon."
Bell picked up his fifth save of the season...Miami's Gaby Sanchez was optioned to Triple-A New Orleans Saturday. The Marlins recalled Chris Coghlan and selected the contract of Donovan Solano to fill the roster spots....Josh Johnson is 18-10 in his career on five days rest...Choo had his seven-game hit streak snapped.
- MIAMI: 5
May 20 3:50 PM
- Casey Kotchman grounded out second to first scored Johnny Damon. On the play, Jose Lopez advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Marlins 5, Indians 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsMay 20 3:48 PM
- Jose Lopez doubled to left scored Michael Brantley. On the play, Johnny Damon advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Casey Kotchman due up.
Marlins 5, Indians 2 Bot 9, 1 OutMay 20 3:44 PM
- Chris Coghlan grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Logan Morrison. Brett Hayes out at second. Runner on first with one out and Donnie Murphy due up.
Marlins 5, Indians 1 Top 8, 1 OutMay 20 3:19 PM
- Brett Hayes singled to center scored Giancarlo Stanton. On the play, Logan Morrison advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Chris Coghlan due up.
Marlins 4, Indians 1 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 20 3:18 PM
- Logan Morrison doubled to left scored Greg Dobbs. On the play, Giancarlo Stanton advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Brett Hayes due up.
Marlins 3, Indians 1 Top 8, 0 OutsMay 20 3:16 PM
- Jose Lopez singled to right scored Michael Brantley. Runner on first with one out and Lou Marson due up.
Marlins 2, Indians 1 Bot 5, 1 OutMay 20 2:16 PM
- Greg Dobbs doubled to right center scored Hanley Ramirez. Runner on second with two outs and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Marlins 2, Indians 0 Top 3, 2 OutsMay 20 1:44 PM
- Hanley Ramirez grounded out second to first scored Jose Reyes. None on with two outs and Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 1, Indians 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 20 1:08 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 20 1:05 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21