Indians score two runs in 8th to beat TigersMay 24, 2012 - 3:58 AM
Travis Hafner belted a two-run homer for Cleveland, which came back to defeat its AL Central rival for the second straight night and are currently on a 7-2 stretch.
Vinnie Pestano (2-0) worked out of bases-loaded, no-out situation in the eighth to pick up the win, while Phil Coke (1-1) gave up two unearned runs in the bottom half to take the loss.
Detroit went 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranded 10 in falling for the fifth time in seven games.
Miguel Cabrera left the bases loaded in the away seventh, and the Tigers put their first three hitters on in their next at-bat.
Pestano, however, wiggled out the jam by striking out Jhonny Peralta, getting Ramon Santiago to ground into a force out at the plate and caught pinch-hitter Alex Avila looking at strike three on a payoff pitch.
The Indians took advantage of their scoring chance in their turn at the plate. Kipnis started the rally with a one-out single and raced to third when Asdrubal Cabrera followed with a double off the left-field wall.
Coke opted to pitch to Hafner with first base open, and Hafner tapped one to Fielder, whose throw home bounced well in front of Avila and got away, allowing Kipnis to score.
"There was a quick runner at third...Unfortunately I didn't get it to [Avila] in his chest," recalled Fielder.
Asdrubal Cabrera crossed the plate on Carlos Santana's sacrifice fly to center, and Chris Perez retired the top of Detroit's lineup in order to secure his 15th save.
"When [Pestano] got out of [the jam], the crowd erupted. It might have given the offense a lift," Perez said.
Both teams scored twice in the sixth inning after going scoreless in the first five frames against Cleveland starter Zach McAllister and his counterpart, Doug Fister.
In the top half, Andy Dirks lined one just out of the reach of Shin-Soo Choo to double in Quintin Berry, then scored on Fielder's sharp ground ball to short after Santana couldn't handle Asdrubal Cabrera's short-hop to the plate.
Cleveland used the long ball to tie it in the bottom half, as Hafner crushed one deep into seats in right-center. Kipnis also scored on Hafner's sixth home run of the season.
Berry was called up from Triple-A Toledo and went 1-for-5 in his debut. To make room on the roster, the Tigers designated the contract of pitcher Collin Balester for assignment...McAllister surrendered two runs on eight hits in 6 1/3 frames, while Fister yielded two runs on five hits on 6 2/3 innings...The Indians only struck out three times. Detroit pitchers had fanned eight or more batters in 12 straight games coming in.
- DETROIT: 2
May 23 9:50 PM
- Carlos Santana sacrifice fly out to center scored Asdrubal Cabrera. Runner on first with two outs and Michael Brantley due up.
Tigers 2, Indians 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 23 9:39 PM
- Travis Hafner grounded into a fielder's choice. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to third and Jason Kipnis scored on Prince Fielder's throwing error. Runners on first and third with one out and Carlos Santana due up.
Tigers 2, Indians 3 Bot 8, 1 OutMay 23 9:38 PM
- Travis Hafner one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right center scored Jason Kipnis. Carlos Santana due up.
Tigers 2, Indians 2 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 23 8:32 PM
- Prince Fielder grounded into a fielder's choice scored Andy Dirks. Runner on first with one out and Delmon Young due up.
Tigers 2, Indians 0 Top 6, 1 OutMay 23 8:23 PM
- Andy Dirks doubled to right scored Quintin Berry. Runner on second with none out and Miguel Cabrera due up.
Tigers 1, Indians 0 Top 6, 0 OutsMay 23 8:20 PM
- DETROIT: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 23 7:06 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22