Astros' Keuchel tosses CG, earns first winJun 24, 2012 - 12:44 AM
Keuchel (1-0), who received a no-decision after allowing one run in five-plus innings in his first start against the Rangers, surrendered only six hits while striking out three and walking one en route to Houston's first complete game of the season.
"I'm so proud of Dallas to come in here and do that," Houston manager Brad Mills said. "That's his second outing and he's pitched extremely well in both outings. He did a good job in Texas for us, and you can't say enough about the job he did today."
"He changed speeds very well," Cleveland manager Manny Acta said. "He did an outstanding job and gave them an opportunity to get their offense in order."
J.D. Martinez, Jordan Schafer and Jose Altuve hit home runs for the Astros, who rebounded from Friday's 2-0 loss.
Despite not allowing a hit through the first four innings, Jeanmar Gomez (4-7) failed to get through six innings for the sixth straight outing. Gomez took the loss after allowing five runs on six hits in 5 2/3 innings.
"He pitched good [for] four innings and then he struggled in the fifth," Acta said. "He hit a wall. I don't know if he started thinking about winning the ball game in the fifth, or something like that. But, you have a long way to go for 27 outs."
Cleveland scored its lone run in the fourth inning when Asdrubal Cabrera's solo shot gave the Indians a 1-0 lead.
The Astros exploded for four runs in a power-packed fifth inning. Brian Bogusevic and Chris Johnson started the frame with a pair of doubles to tie the game. Two batters later, Martinez hit a fly ball to left field that just reached the Crawford Boxes to give the Astros a 3-1 lead. Schafer made it back-to-back jacks for Houston, with an opposite-field home run that also reached the short porch in left.
Houston picked up another run in the sixth inning after Jed Lowrie worked a leadoff walk. Carlos Lee followed with a double into the left-field gap to give the Astros a 5-1 lead.
The Astros tacked on three more runs in the eighth. Altuve led off with the team's third home run of the day. Lowrie and Lee followed with doubles to give Houston a 7-1 lead. Two batters later, Johnson smoked the Astros' third double in the inning and ninth extra-base hit of the day to plate Lee and cap the scoring.
The Astros' nine extra-base hits were the most the team had since ripping 10 extra-base hits against Tampa Bay on June 26, 2011...The loss snaps Cleveland's four-game winning streak...Cleveland outfielder Shin-Soo Choo went 1-for-4 with a double and has hit in six straight games...Cabrera has homered in three of his last four games...Houston is 17-12 at home since April 22...Houston went 4-for-11 with runners in scoring position and left two men on base.
- CLEVELAND: 1
Jun 23 6:37 PM
- Jason Castro grounded out short to first. On the play, Chris Johnson advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and J.D. Martinez due up.
Indians 1, Astros 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 23 6:25 PM
- Carlos Lee doubled to left scoring Jed Lowrie with none out. Runner on second and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Indians 1, Astros 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 23 6:19 PM
- Jed Lowrie doubled to left. Runner on second with none out and Carlos Lee due up.
Indians 1, Astros 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsJun 23 6:16 PM
- Brian Bogusevic flied out to center. Runner on second with one out and Chris Johnson due up.
Indians 1, Astros 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 23 5:39 PM
- Dallas Keuchel grounded out pitcher to first. None on with two outs and Jose Altuve due up.
Indians 1, Astros 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 23 5:24 PM
- J.D. Martinez one-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Chris Johnson. Jordan Schafer due up.
Indians 1, Astros 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 23 5:21 PM
- Chris Johnson doubled to left scoring Brian Bogusevic with none out. Runner on second and Jason Castro due up.
Indians 1, Astros 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 23 5:15 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera lead-off Home Run (9) to left center. Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 1, Astros 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 23 4:56 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 23 4:09 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21
- Kelly takes no-hitter 6 2/3, Betts 2 HRs in Boston's win May 21