Twins use 10-run inning to send Tribe to 10th straight lossAug 7, 2012 - 4:08 AM
Ben Revere went 4-for-5 with three runs scored to extend his hitting streak to 20 games and Joe Mauer drove in three runs for the Twins, who scored 10 runs in the second inning en route to their fourth victory in their last five contests. They reached double digits in an inning for the first time since a 10-run seventh frame on June 4, 2002 -- also against the Indians.
Josh Willingham smoked a solo homer and Ryan Doumit clubbed a three-run shot in the lopsided victory. Morneau hit his 200th career home run.
"It's one of those things that I'm able to appreciate," said Morneau about his 200th career homer. "Sometimes, when you're younger, you take it for granted that you're going to play until you're 40 and everything's going to go great, but you go through some tough times, and everybody does, but this is something you can be proud of."
Scott Diamond (10-5) allowed three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits and a walk with three strikeouts to win for the second time in his last three decisions.
Carlos Santana clubbed a two-run homer for the Indians, whose current streak of futility reached double digits for the first time since the club lost 11 in a row from September 13-24, 2009.
Zach McAllister (4-4) was knocked around for nine runs -- two earned -- on six hits and two walks in just 1 2/3 innings.
"When they get on a roll, it's hard to get guys out and that's what I ran into today," said McAllister.
The Indians loaded the bases with no outs in the first inning and picked up a run on a double-play groundout by Santana, but the Twins roared back with an incredible 10 runs in the second to take a commanding lead.
Willingham and Morneau started the offensive assault with back-to-back home runs and Doumit followed with a double down the left field line. Jamey Carroll walked with two outs to put runners on the corners and Denard Span reached on a critical throwing error by second baseman Jason Kipnis, which allowed Doumit to score.
Revere brought home Carroll with a base hit to make it 4-1 and the massive inning continued as Mauer doubled home two and Willingham walked. Morneau then plated Mauer with a single up the middle, which finally spelled the end of a forgettable outing for McAllister.
Josh Tomlin came in from the bullpen and immediately surrendered a three-run shot to Doumit on his second at-bat of the inning, widening the margin to 10-1.
"I'm not sure I'll ever see anything like that again," Indians manager Manny Acta said of the 10-run frame. "That second inning was unreal. Zach pitched so well in the first, but came back out and just didn't have his command."
Morneau crushed his second home run of the game -- a two-run shot over the wall in right on a hanging curveball -- in the fourth inning. Revere reached with a two-out infield single in the sixth and came all the way around to score on a double by Mauer to extend the lead to 13-1.
Kipnis began home portion of the sixth with a single into left and trotted the rest of the way around the bases when Santana waited on a changeup from Diamond and roped it over the wall in left-center.
Span, Revere and Mauer hit consecutive singles off Indians pitcher Esmil Rogers in the eighth and Willingham capped the rout with an RBI groundout to account for the final margin.
Prior to the game, it was announced that Indians minor league pitcher Juan Nivar was suspended 50 games after testing positive for a performance- enhancing substance...The Twins improved to 32-44 against right-handed starters...Willingham matched a career high in home runs with 29, which he accomplished last season with the Oakland Athletics...The Twins won that 2002 game against the Indians by a score of 23-2...Minnesota finished 5-for-13 with runners in scoring position and stranded five, while the Indians went 2-for-7 with men in scoring position and left six on base.
- MINNESOTA: 14
Aug 6 10:08 PM
- Josh Willingham fielder's choice to second scored Denard Span with one out. Joe Mauer out at second Ben Revere advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 14, Indians 3 Top 8, 1 OutAug 6 9:35 PM
- Carlos Santana two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to left center scored Jason Kipnis. Michael Brantley due up.
Twins 13, Indians 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 6 9:06 PM
- Joe Mauer double to right center scored Ben Revere with one out. Runner on second with one out and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 13, Indians 1 Top 6, 1 OutAug 6 8:53 PM
- Justin Morneau two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (15) to right scored Ben Revere. Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 12, Indians 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 6 8:19 PM
- Ryan Doumit two-out, three-run Home Run (12) to right scored Josh Willingham and Justin Morneau. Tsuyoshi Nishioka due up.
Twins 10, Indians 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 6 7:50 PM
- Justin Morneau single to center scored Joe Mauer with two out. On the play, Josh Willingham advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 7, Indians 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 6 7:46 PM
- Joe Mauer double to left scored Denard Span and Ben Revere with two out. Runner on second and Josh Willingham due up.
Twins 6, Indians 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 6 7:40 PM
- Ben Revere single to center scored Jamey Carroll with two out. On the play, Denard Span advances to third. Runners on first and third and Joe Mauer due up.
Twins 4, Indians 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 6 7:38 PM
- Denard Span reached first on Jason Kipnis's throwing error scored Ryan Doumit with two out. On the play, Jamey Carroll advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ben Revere due up.
Twins 3, Indians 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 6 7:36 PM
- Justin Morneau none-out, solo Home Run (14) to right. Ryan Doumit due up.
Twins 2, Indians 1 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 6 7:26 PM
- Josh Willingham lead-off Home Run (29) to left. Justin Morneau due up.
Twins 1, Indians 1 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 6 7:24 PM
- Carlos Santana grounded into a double play, third to first scored Jason Kipnis with two out. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to second and Asdrubal Cabrera out at third. Runner on second and Michael Brantley due up.
Twins 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 6 7:21 PM
- MINNESOTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 6 7:07 PM
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Royals-Twins Preview May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Hughes drops to 1-7 as Twins lose to Blue Jays 3-1 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Bautista, Donaldson homers propel Blue Jays over Twins 3-1 May 22
- Blue Jays manager Gibbons ejected for 4th time this season May 22
- Perkins slowing down rehab in return from shoulder strain May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21