Masterson masters Angels againAug 14, 2012 - 6:01 AM Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Justin Masterson tossed six-plus scoreless innings, Brent Lillibridge hit a solo homer and the Indians defeated the Angels, 6-2, on Monday in the opener of a three-game series.
Masterson (9-10) scattered six hits, walked three, struck out four and improved to 3-0 in seven career starts against the Angels.
"The last couple of starts I've been good. I got a couple of breaks out there tonight. I just want to go out there and pitch. The boys came through and put up some runs," said Masterson.
Jason Donald and Asdrubal Cabrera had back-to-back RBI singles in the third inning for the Indians, who are just 10-21 since the All-Star break despite having won four of their last six games.
C.J. Wilson (9-9) dropped his fifth straight decision, allowing three runs -- two earned -- on six hits with a walk and five strikeouts over 6 2/3 innings. The lefty hasn't recorded a win since June 26 -- a span of nine starts. He was relieved by LaTroy Hawkins after attempting to catch a line drive with his bare hand.
Albert Pujols cut the Angels' deficit to 3-2 with a two-run, eighth-inning homer, but the Indians responded with three runs in the ninth. They loaded the bases on three straight singles off of Hisanori Takahashi before Jason Isringhausen walked Lou Marson, gave up a sacrifice fly to Jason Kipnis, and allowed Casey Kotchman to score on a wild pitch.
Chris Perez entered with runners on first and second in the bottom half and recorded three straight strikeouts for his 32nd save of the season, sending the Angels to their ninth loss in 12 games.
Los Angeles went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position. In the seventh, Masterson was relieved by Joe Smith after Mark Trumbo and Alberto Callaspo led off with consecutive singles.
Trumbo moved to third base on Howie Kendrick's deep fly out, but Smith struck out Erick Aybar and Chris Iannetta in succession to escape.
Pujols' homer -- his 25th of the season -- came with one down and scored Mike Trout, who led off with a walk. Vinnie Pestano gave up the blast to deep left, but retired Kendrys Morales and Trumbo to end the inning.
"For the first six innings tonight we hit the ball hard and had nothing to show for it," said Angels manager Mike Scioscia. "Early runs are important. Getting leads and holding them is what we have to do."
Kendrick's error at the start of the third allowed Lillibridge to reach first base. Marson followed with a one-out walk before Donald and Cabrera laced consecutive singles for a 2-0 lead.
Lillibridge belted his second homer of the season an inning later. His first homer of the year came on Saturday, when he had three hits and two RBI in a 5-2 win over the Red Sox.
Ezequiel Carrera, Lillibridge and Kotchman started the ninth with three straight singles to load the bases.
The Indians improved to 13-5 against teams from the AL West on the season, which is the highest winning percentage versus that division by any team in the major leagues this year...Perez recorded his 100th career save...Cleveland leads the season-series, 5-2...Pestano entered the game with a 21-inning scoreless streak, which marked the longest by an Indians pitcher this season.
- CLEVELAND: 6
LOS ANGELES: 2
Aug 14 1:20 AM
- Casey Kotchman scored on a wild pitch with two outs. Lou Marson advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second and Shin-Soo Choo at the plate.
Indians 6, Angels 2 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 14 1:05 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Jason Kipnis sacrifice fly to center scored Brent Lillibridge with one out. On the play, Casey Kotchman advances to third. Runners on first and third and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 5, Angels 2 Top 9, 1 OutAug 14 12:59 AM
- Lou Marson walk scored Ezequiel Carrera with none out. Bases loaded and Jason Donald due up.
Indians 4, Angels 2 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 14 12:57 AM
- Albert Pujols one-out, two-run Home Run (25) to left scored Mike Trout. Kendrys Morales due up.
Indians 3, Angels 2 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 14 12:38 AM
- Brent Lillibridge two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 3, Angels 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 13 11:16 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to right scored Lou Marson with one out. On the play, Jason Donald advances to second. Runners on first and second and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 2, Angels 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 13 10:52 PM
- Jason Donald single to center scored Brent Lillibridge with one out. On the play, Lou Marson advances to third. Runners on first and third and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 1, Angels 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 13 10:51 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 10:07 PM
- Angels-Rangers Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Indians-Red Sox Preview May 21