Fowler lifts Rockies over Astros in extrasMay 29, 2012 - 6:05 AM
In the opener, Jordan Pacheco hit a tie-breaking two-run single in the bottom of the eighth inning to deliver a 9-7 win.
Fowler was 4-for-4 in the nightcap, finishing with a homer, three RBI and three runs scored. In the 10th, he ripped a triple into the right-field corner off of Brett Myers (0-2) and Michael Cuddyer narrowly slid in ahead of the tag with the deciding run.
"It's a wonderful Memorial Day. I'll tell you that," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said about his team's sweep of the doubleheader.
Josh Roenicke (1-0) worked around a pair of singles in the top of the 10th to earn the win. Starter Alex White allowed six runs over five-plus innings.
Brian Bogusevic had a two-run homer for the Astros, losers of four straight, while Chris Snyder added a solo homer and drove in a pair. Jordan Lyles, who was called up earlier Monday, gave up six runs -- four earned -- in a five- inning start.
Fowler led off the first inning with a homer to right and tied the game in the third after Bogusevic put the Astros on top with a two-out, two-run blast. Carlos Gonzalez plated Fowler, who reached with a bunt single and advanced to third base on a throwing error by Matt Downs to tie the game at 2-2.
Houston briefly reclaimed the lead in the fourth courtesy of a solo shot from Snyder and an RBI single from Jordan Schafer before Colorado rallied in the bottom half.
The Rockies did their damage with two down and the bases loaded, as Fowler worked a walk to push across a run and Marco Scutaro followed with a three-run double to right-center for a 6-4 lead.
This time the Astros answered back, getting an RBI single from Snyder in the fifth and a pinch-hit leadoff blast from Justin Maxwell in the sixth, which forced White from the game.
"There was a lot of positives, a lot of real good things that happened in that ballgame and that's what we're really going to look at," Astros manager Brad Mills said.
This was the second time the teams met in a doubleheader. The last instance came in 1993, when the Rockies took a pair from the Astros...Lyles made his fourth major league start of the season...Houston played its first doubleheader since 2006 at San Francisco.
- HOUSTON: 7
May 28 6:18 PM
- Jordan Pacheco single to center scored Jeremy Guthrie and Dexter Fowler with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Astros 7, Rockies 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsMay 28 6:06 PM
- Jose Altuve single to center scored Jordan Schafer with one out. Jose Altuve tagged out. None on and Jed Lowrie due up.
Astros 7, Rockies 7 Top 7, 1 OutMay 28 5:24 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki lead-off Home Run (8) to center. Todd Helton due up.
Astros 6, Rockies 7 Bot 5, 0 OutsMay 28 4:53 PM
- Chris Johnson single to right scored Jed Lowrie and Carlos Lee with two out. Chris Johnson advances to second on Michael Cuddyer's throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Brian Bogusevic due up.
Astros 6, Rockies 6 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 28 4:51 PM
- DJ LeMahieu double to left scored Wilin Rosario with two out. Runner on second and Juan Nicasio due up.
Astros 4, Rockies 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsMay 28 4:19 PM
- Carlos Lee single to left center scored Jose Altuve with one out. Runner on first and Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 4, Rockies 5 Top 3, 1 OutMay 28 4:09 PM
- Jed Lowrie ground out first to pitcher scored Jordan Schafer with one out. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to third. Runner on third and Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 3, Rockies 5 Top 3, 1 OutMay 28 4:07 PM
- Wilin Rosario two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Troy Tulowitzki. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Astros 2, Rockies 5 Bot 1, 2 OutsMay 28 3:37 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki double to left scored Carlos Gonzalez with none out. Runner on second and Todd Helton due up.
Astros 2, Rockies 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 28 3:32 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez doubled to center. Runner on second with none out and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Astros 2, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 28 3:30 PM
- Jordan Pacheco triple to left center scored Dexter Fowler with none out. Runner on third and Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Astros 2, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 28 3:27 PM
- Jed Lowrie one-out, solo Home Run (8) to right center. Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 28 3:16 PM
- Jose Altuve ground out short to first scored Jordan Schafer with one out. None on and Jed Lowrie due up.
Astros 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutMay 28 3:15 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 28 3:11 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Hamels fans 11, Rangers down Keuchel, Astros 9-2 for sweep May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rangers-Astros Preview May 21
- Andrus, Ramos lead Rangers over Astros 2-1 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21