Scherzer, Tigers blank RockiesJun 17, 2012 - 10:52 PM
In a 122-pitch effort, Scherzer (6-4) tossed eight shutout innings and gave up seven hits. His 12 strikeouts were three short of his career-best and he did not issue a walk.
"I was locating all three [of my pitches] and fastballs on both sides of the plate," Scherzer said. "I've been pitching pretty well, I just haven't been getting results and today I was finally able to execute and finally got results."
Quintin Berry had his first-career five-hit game for Detroit, which has won four of its last five games.
"You don't think about it too much," Berry said. "5-for-5 is just something that happens - things fall in, getting good pitches to hit. Hitting behind Austin [Jackson] makes it a lot easier to hit, too. I get a lot of good pitches to hit because they don't want to fool around with him on the bases."
The Tigers chased Jeremy Guthrie (3-6) from the game after three innings. He gave up four runs -- three earned -- on eight hits and two walks for the Rockies, who have dropped 10 of their past 11 games.
"I thought I had good stuff," Guthrie said. "A couple 0-2 pitches were able to start rallies for them and I just couldn't get the big [out]."
Each team left a runner on third in the first inning before Detroit opened the scoring in the second. After Don Kelly's two-out single, Gerald Laird laced a double into the left-field corner to score Kelly and give the Tigers the only run they would need.
The Tigers broke out for three runs in the third after Berry started the inning with a base hit. Following a Cabrera walk, Prince Fielder legged out a double to score Berry. Three batters later, Ramon Santiago hit a ground ball just under the glove of Colorado second baseman Chris Nelson to bring home Cabrera and Fielder.
Cabrera helped tack on another Detroit run in the sixth with a liner down the third-base line, scoring Jackson and giving the Tigers a 5-0 lead.
Brayan Villarreal shut down the Rockies in order in the ninth to close out the win.
The game was delayed for 53 minutes in the fourth inning due to rain...Rockies outfielder Carlos Gonzalez was scratched prior to the game due to right hamstring soreness...Berry is a perfect 9-for-9 in stolen base attempts this season...Detroit is 8-4 in interleague play this year...Fielder is hitting .367 (44-for-120) with 12 doubles and 28 RBI in his last 32 games. He is also hitting .556 (15-for-27) with runners in scoring position since May 25...The Tigers have collected an extra base hit in 51 straight games...Scherzer is tied for second in the majors with 100 strikeouts, trailing only teammate Justin Verlander (103). He struck out nine-or-more for the sixth time this season and the third time without allowing a walk.
- COLORADO: 0
Jun 17 5:02 PM
- Miguel Cabrera doubled to left scoring Austin Jackson with one out. On the play, Quintin Berry advances to third. Runners on second and third with Prince Fielder due up.
Rockies 0, Tigers 5 Bot 6, 1 OutJun 17 4:09 PM
- Ramon Santiago singled to center scoring Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder with one out. On the play, Jhonny Peralta advances to second. Runners on first and second with Don Kelly due up.
Rockies 0, Tigers 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 17 2:08 PM
- Prince Fielder doubled to center scoring Quintin Berry with none out. On the play, Miguel Cabrera advances to third. Runners on second and third with Brennan Boesch due up.
Rockies 0, Tigers 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsJun 17 2:01 PM
- Gerald Laird doubled to left scoring Don Kelly with two out. Runner on second and Austin Jackson due up.
Rockies 0, Tigers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 17 1:42 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 17 1:06 PM
- Zimmermann expected to miss at least 1 start for Tigers May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Phillies-Tigers Preview May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Cabrera leaves game after being hit in knee area with pitch May 22
- Detroit's Zimmermann leaves in 6th with groin strain May 22