Lohse, Craig carry Cardinals over RockiesJul 3, 2012 - 5:39 AM
Lohse (8-2) scattered nine hits and two runs over 7 1/3 innings. He walked two and struck out five.
"He just pitched. He did a little bit of everything, but most of it is just his efficiency, staying down and getting the ground balls when he needed to," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said about Lohse.
Matt Holliday added a home run and two RBI for the Cardinals, who won their second straight game on the heels of a three-game losing streak.
Rockies starter Josh Outman lasted just three innings, allowing two runs on two hits and five walks. Tyler Chatwood (1-1) surrendered four runs on five hits and two walks over 2 1/3 frames to take the loss.
"You can't pitch like that and expect to afford yourself an opportunity to beat a team like this," Colorado manager Jim Tracy said.
Tyler Colvin had a two-run home run and Wilin Rosario hit a solo shot for Colorado, which dropped its third straight.
St. Louis opened the scoring in the bottom of the first inning without a hit when Jon Jay worked a one-out walk, advanced to second on a wild pitch, stole third and came home on Carlos Beltran's sacrifice fly to right field.
Holliday made it a 2-0 game in the third inning with a solo blast over the left-field wall.
But the Rockies quickly tied the game in the fourth when Colvin lifted a two- run homer to right field. Michael Cuddyer singled prior to Colvin's ninth home run of the year.
Colorado stranded the bases loaded in the top of the fifth inning before the Cardinals regained the lead in the bottom of the frame when Jay walked and later crossed the plate on Beltran's fielder's choice grounder to second.
Craig followed by hammering a ball over the wall in straightaway center field to give St. Louis a 5-2 lead.
Rafael Furcal walked, advanced to third on a ground-rule double by Jay and came home on Holliday's sacrifice fly to right field in the sixth inning to extend the Cardinals' advantage.
Yadier Molina then scored on a throwing error by Marco Scutaro before David Freese crossed the plate on a groundout by Furcal in the seventh to give St. Louis an 8-2 cushion.
Colorado threatened to get back in the game in the eighth inning after loading the bases with one out, but Mitchell Boggs relieved Lohse and needed just two pitches to induce an inning-ending double play off the bat of Dexter Fowler.
The teams traded solo home runs by Craig in the eighth and Rosario in the ninth to account for the final margin.
Rockies left fielder Carlos Gonzalez extended his hit streak to 10 games...Beltran has recorded an RBI in nine straight games...St. Louis has won nine of its last 11 games against Colorado and leads the all-time series, 83-81...The Cardinals went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left nine men on base...Colorado hit 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position and stranded nine.
- COLORADO: 3
ST. LOUIS: 9
Jul 2 11:29 PM
- Wilin Rosario lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Jonathan Herrera due up.
Rockies 3, Cardinals 9 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 2 11:20 PM
- Allen Craig two-out, solo Home Run 2 (13) to center. Yadier Molina due up.
Rockies 2, Cardinals 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 2 11:14 PM
- Rafael Furcal ground out third to first scored David Freese with two out. On the play, Kyle Lohse advances to third. Runner on third and Jon Jay due up.
Rockies 2, Cardinals 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 2 10:51 PM
- Marco Scutaro's throwing error scored Yadier Molina with one out. Kyle Lohse to second. On the play, David Freese advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Rafael Furcal due up.
Rockies 2, Cardinals 7 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 2 10:48 PM
- Matt Holliday sacrifice fly out to right scored Rafael Furcal with two out. On the play, Jon Jay advances to third. Runner on third and Carlos Beltran due up.
Rockies 2, Cardinals 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 2 10:21 PM
- Allen Craig one-out, two-run Home Run (12) to center scored Carlos Beltran. Yadier Molina due up.
Rockies 2, Cardinals 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 2 9:57 PM
- Carlos Beltran's fielder's choice second to short scored Jon Jay with one out. Matt Holliday out at second. Runner on first and Allen Craig due up.
Rockies 2, Cardinals 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 2 9:54 PM
- Tyler Colvin one-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Michael Cuddyer. Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 2, Cardinals 2 Top 4, 1 OutJul 2 9:22 PM
- Matt Holliday one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left. Carlos Beltran due up.
Rockies 0, Cardinals 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 2 9:07 PM
- Carlos Beltran sacrifice fly out to right scored Jon Jay with two out. Runner on first and Allen Craig due up.
Rockies 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 2 8:34 PM
- COLORADO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 2 8:15 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21