Pence, Giants sweep RockiesAug 6, 2012 - 12:58 AM
Pence, who was acquired from the Phillies on Tuesday, had a pair of RBI doubles and a run-scoring groundout while San Francisco's other trade-deadline pickup, Marco Scutaro, added a two-run double against his former team.
"(I'm) just coming over trying to contribute and doing whatever it takes to try and help the team win," said Pence. "We did a lot of things good this series."
The NL West-leading Giants had lost seven of eight games entering the series, but exploded for 35 runs in the set, including a season-high 16 in Friday's opener.
Tim Lincecum (6-11) earned the win in the finale, allowing one run on five hits with five walks and three strikeouts over six innings. The two-time NL Cy Young Award winner has struggled this season, but is 3-1 in five starts since the All-Star break.
Jordan Pacheco, Carlos Gonzalez and Matt McBride each had an RBI single for the Rockies, who concluded a 1-8 homestand.
Tyler Chatwood (1-2) was recalled from Double-A Tulsa prior to the game and lasted just 3 1/3 innings in his first start of the season. The 22-year-old righty gave up three runs -- one earned -- on two hits with four walks and a strikeout in the loss.
Angel Pagan, who went 7-for-10 over the first two games of the series, was hitless on Sunday, but did work a leadoff walk in the first before eventually crossing the plate on a passed ball by Wilin Rosario.
Pence followed with an RBI groundout for a 2-0 lead.
"In the first innings I was just not in the zone at all," said Chatwood.
Lincecum, who plated Scutaro with a groundout in the fourth, threw 36 pitches in the bottom of the first. He allowed Pacheco to make it 2-1 with an RBI single, but retired Rosario with the bases loaded to escape the jam.
Melky Cabrera went 2-for-3 with three runs scored in the win and also threw out Rosario at home to end the fourth. The left fielder crossed the plate on both of Pence's doubles -- in the fifth and seventh -- and tripled to start the ninth before scoring on Buster Posey's single.
Posey was 2-for-4 with a walk and has now driven in 26 runs since the All-Star break.
Scutaro's double plated Posey and Pence in the seventh, while Gonzalez responded with his RBI single in the bottom half.
McBride, who recorded a hit in his major league debut on Saturday, capped the scoring with a single in the ninth, which plated Gonzalez.
It was the fourth sweep of the season for the Giants...Posey has eight RBI in his last four games...It was the 26th career start for Chatwood, who made his major league debut last season with the Angels. He has appeared in seven games as a reliever for the Rockies this season.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 8
Aug 5 6:42 PM
- Matt McBride single to center scored Carlos Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Jordan Pacheco advances to second. Runners on first and second and Wilin Rosario due up.
Giants 8, Rockies 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 5 6:38 PM
- Hunter Pence struck out swinging. Runner on first with one out and Sergio Romo due up.
Giants 8, Rockies 2 Top 9, 1 OutAug 5 6:22 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez single to center scored Dexter Fowler with one out. On the play, Josh Rutledge advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 2 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 5 5:53 PM
- Marco Scutaro double to center scored Buster Posey and Hunter Pence with one out. Runner on second and Hector Sanchez due up.
Giants 7, Rockies 1 Top 7, 1 OutAug 5 5:35 PM
- Hunter Pence double to right scored Melky Cabrera with one out. On the play, Buster Posey advances to third. Runners on second and third and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 5, Rockies 1 Top 7, 1 OutAug 5 5:30 PM
- Hunter Pence double to left scored Melky Cabrera with two out. Runner on second and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 4, Rockies 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 5 4:56 PM
- Tim Lincecum grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Marco Scutaro with two out. Hector Sanchez out at second. Runner on first and Angel Pagan due up.
Giants 3, Rockies 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 5 4:39 PM
- Jordan Pacheco single to center scored Todd Helton with two out. On the play, Carlos Gonzalez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Tyler Colvin due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 5 3:39 PM
- Hunter Pence grounded out second to first scored Ryan Theriot with two out. On the play, Buster Posey advances to third. Runner on third and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 2, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 5 3:26 PM
- Angel Pagan scored on a passed ball by Wilin Rosario with one out. Buster Posey advances to second and Ryan Theriot advances to third. Runners on second and third and with one out and Hunter Pence at the plate.
Giants 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 5 3:25 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 3:12 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21