Rosario's homer helps Rockies beat MetsAug 23, 2012 - 4:06 AM
Tyler Colvin had two hits and scored twice for the Rockies, who will aim for a four-game sweep Thursday afternoon. Colorado, which has won four in a row and eight of its last 10 contests, has won eight straight road games against the Mets.
Scott Hairston and Ike Davis each knocked in a run for the Mets, who have been held to two runs or less in five consecutive contests, their longest stretch since Sept. 15-19, 2003.
"Each one of us is going out and taking our jobs seriously. We don't take it lightly," Hairston said. "We play our hearts out. Our best wasn't good enough today."
Colorado lost center fielder Dexter Fowler with a sprained right ankle. He was hurt in the fourth inning.
Ruben Tejada doubled leading off the bottom of the first, With men on first and third and one out, Hairston lifted a sacrifice fly to left field.
Colorado didn't get its first hit until the fourth inning when Jonathan Herrera lined a leadoff single to left field.
Fowler then grounded a single into right field. The throw to first base went awry and Fowler cruised into second base. As he touched the base, Fowler's right foot bent awkwardly and he collapsed to the ground in pain, holding his ankle.
Fowler was helped off the field by two trainers and Jordan Pacheco entered as a pinch-runner.
Rosario's sacrifice fly to center field plated Herrera.
Ramon Ramirez (2-3) gave up Rosario's 20th homer of the year, a leadoff blast to left field. Colvin followed with a double and moved to third on a groundout before scoring on DJ LeMahieu's squeeze bunt that was overrun by Ramirez.
Hairston doubled with two outs in the bottom of the eighth, and Davis greeted reliever Matt Reynolds with a line drive RBI single to right-center field.
In the ninth, Chris Nelson's soft liner to right field plate Colvin, and pinch-hitter Josh Rutledge added an RBI double into the right field corner, with both hits coming off Frank Francisco. After coming back to the dugout, a frustrated Francisco threw a water cooler to the ground.
Rafael Betancourt ran into trouble in the bottom half, but notched his 25th save of the year. Pinch-hitter Mike Baxter singled with one out, and with two down pinch-hitter Justin Turner drew a walk after a 10-pitch at-bat. Betancourt then retired Ronny Cedeno on a fly ball to the edge of the warning track in left field.
Jeff Francis pitched the first five innings before yielding to Carlos Torres (2-1), who gave up one hit over 2 2/3 frames.
Mets starter Matt Harvey allowed three hits and had nine strikeouts over six innings.
"I feel like there's more I could have done and more I could have helped the team with," Harvey said. "Going eight innings and not giving up a run would have been nice."
New York has lost 14 of its last 16 home games ... The Mets are 10 games under .500 (57-67) for the first time since the end of the 2009 season ... Both teams announced roster moves prior to the game. The Mets placed Johan Santana on the 15-day disabled list and announced the left-hander would not pitch again this season due to lower back inflammation ... The Rockies reinstated outfielder Carlos Gonzalez from the bereavement list and also optioned pitcher Guillermo Moscoso to Triple-A Colorado Springs.
- COLORADO: 5
NEW YORK: 2
Aug 22 10:26 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Josh Rutledge double to right scored Chris Nelson with two out. Runner on second and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Rockies 5, Mets 2 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 22 10:04 PM
- Chris Nelson advances to second on a balk. Runner on second with one out and DJ LeMahieu at the plate.
Rockies 4, Mets 2 Top 9, 1 OutAug 22 10:02 PM
- Ike Davis single to right center scored Scott Hairston with two out. Runner on first and Jason Bay due up.
Rockies 3, Mets 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 22 9:48 PM
- DJ LeMahieu sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Tyler Colvin with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Torres due up.
Rockies 3, Mets 1 Top 7, 1 OutAug 22 9:21 PM
- Wilin Rosario lead-off Home Run (20) to left. Tyler Colvin due up.
Rockies 2, Mets 1 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 22 9:09 PM
- Wilin Rosario sacrifice fly out to center scored Jonathan Herrera with two out. Runner on second and Tyler Colvin due up.
Rockies 1, Mets 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 22 8:22 PM
- David Wright caught stealing second to end the inning.
Rockies 0, Mets 1 End 1Aug 22 7:27 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 7:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21